1. Check out our companion app, Forums for Android! Download from Google Play

Native Tethering on HTC Evo

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by prakharjalan, May 24, 2010.

1. prakharjalan

prakharjalan New Member

May 24, 2010
    Hey guys, I was wondering whether htc evo is going to have native tethering once htc rolls out the Froyo for the phone. And what about the $30 monthly charge by Sprint then?

Advertisement

2. dandm4life

dandm4life Well-Known Member

Mar 27, 2010
    Customer Service Rep
    Grand Rapids MI
    If you root it will :)

3. prakharjalan

prakharjalan New Member

May 24, 2010
    my question was more like, will Sprint allow native tethering on Evo (once Froyo launches) since they are charging an extra $30 for it?
    Thanks man

4. GeneralPatton

GeneralPatton Well-Known Member

Apr 26, 2010
    Male
    NYS Clerk
    New York
    Probably will disable the feature except for those who pay the money. They won't charge $30/mo but yet release Froyo which allows it for free.

As the guy said, Root = Free Tether. :D

5. prakharjalan

prakharjalan New Member

May 24, 2010
    so what u r saying is that even with Froyo on, EVO won't be able to tether because Sprint will disable it for those who arn't paying $30/month but if I root the device, I will be able to? Sorry if this seems stupid but I am not a geek and am new to this. Thanks

6. GeneralPatton

GeneralPatton Well-Known Member

Apr 26, 2010
    Male
    NYS Clerk
    New York
    Yep, that seems about right. Sprint won't allow those not paying the $30/mo to use the tether, because, well, then nobody will pay the $30/mo. Sprint also won't get rid of the $30/mo fee because it is extra money in their pocket, and businesses love to make money.

When rooting the device, it will be a way to free up any "locks" on the phone and therefore you can bypass the tether fee. I suspect a rooted 2.2 will have the native tether app, so you will not need to use apps on the market like PDANet.

I am not sure, but supposedly, PdaNet does not require rooting to use so you can supposedly pay the $20 for the app and have tethering on a non-rooted phone, and skip over the $30/mo fee. Though, I'll believe it when I see it.

7. TheBarron

TheBarron Well-Known Member

May 7, 2010
    Bah, have you ever tried PDANet? It works, and it will work on the EVO.

Besides, there's a difference between a single-device tether and 8-device hotspot...

8. prakharjalan

prakharjalan New Member

May 24, 2010
    So if I root EVO, I will just be able to tether 1 device, not 8? SO basically Sprint is charging us $30/month for 8-device tether?

9. samplerate

samplerate Well-Known Member

Apr 29, 2010
    Nashville, TN
    No, PDA NET does NOT require root and will let you tether 1 device via USB, but in order to get multiple users you will need to root the device. and use a program like Barnacle Wifi Tether - Android app on AppBrain

10. MyHTCevo

MyHTCevo Well-Known Member

Apr 7, 2010
    With PdaNet you tether by hooking up your phone with the USB cord to your computer. It does not do wi-fi tethering. The only way to get wi-fi tethering is by rooting your phone.

I'm going to go with either Easy Tether or PdaNet when I get mine. I only need the internet for myself, so just hooking it up to my computer works for me. I don't like to share =)

11. t10

t10 New Member

May 24, 2010
    phoenix
    sorry a little off topic but can anyone confirm if you can make/receive calls while actively using evo hotspot?

12. adseguy

adseguy Well-Known Member

May 11, 2010
    If you are on 4G yes. No, on 3G

t10 likes this.
  13. t10

t10 New Member

May 24, 2010
    phoenix
    Thanks. I could'nt get a definitive answer from RS or Sprint customer service.

14. stroths

stroths Well-Known Member

May 19, 2010
    Dallas Area
    I can't wait to use this and show those smug AT&T users. "Oh look...I can surf while on a call too AND at 4g. Show me how you surf at 4g on your AT&T phone"

Tags: