• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Nav\GPS Software

crutoi

Apr 9, 2010
Hello all,

I was wondering what is the best\better navigation software for the Dink. Even thou google nav is nice, but compare to my styand alone tomtom its just aweful, always picks some strange routes(granted they do get me to my destinations...), not too mention the computerized voice...

any way, any ideas?

Thanks

P.S. i know its free, but i am looking for a good solution not a bargain :)

I'm waiting for Navigon. I used Navigon on my second-hand iPhone 2G (with a bluetooth GPS adapter), and it was great. It interfaced really well with my music (Instead of stopping it, it would just turn it down and speak the directions over it), and it doesn't require a data connection (which was good for me since I only used it via WiFi). It also supports live traffic-based navigation and has google local search built-in.

It's not available in the US *yet*, but according to their site (NAVIGON. And the world is yours), it's "coming soon" (it was announced back in January).

Upvote 0
I had seen quite a few postings about CoPilot, but their web site is incredibly (no pun intended) vague on what works and doesn't work with android. Their US maps say WM Only (how can that possibly be ... they are data files) and it is not clear if voice navigation is a required additional purchase.

Other than that, they also want to charge a yearly fee for traffic, so while I would rather have a standalone program for when there is no signal, it is almost rock solid that CoPilot cannot be that app (between unavailability and excessive nickle and diming vis-a-vis other apps which are free).

Upvote 0
I had Garmin Mobile XT on my Touch Pro, and loved it. Howerver, from what I was able to find, Garmin isn't going to be making a standalone nav app for Android, as they want to push their own Android-based smartphone with Garmin nav built in.

Garmin, T-Mobile Android phone confirmed

Personally, I prefer the Garmin method, since the maps are all on the microSD card and you don't need a data connection to make it work. However, Google Nav works everywhere I've used it, so I can't complain too much.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones