1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Nav narration voice sounds sick and dying

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by filch, Dec 29, 2011.

1. filch

filch Lurker

I've upgraded from an OG to the GN. I'm loving it. What I'm not loving is the navigation voice. The female voice I'm used to now sounds like a sick and dying old woman.

I don't know if it's just my particular phone, or if it's the same for everyone. The voice audio sounds like it's stretched and slower, like it's being played at the wrong audio rate.

Anyone else experiencing anything like this. I'm trying to think of an easy way to record and post how it sounds.

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. johnatthebar

johnatthebar Member

The first thing I said when I used the nav ont his device was that the voice sounded sickly.

I'm not sure how easy it is to change the TTS engine for maps.

3. wysts43

wysts43 Well-Known Member

haha, I thought the exact sane thing. I always mute the voice though, so no issue for me

4. northernale1

northernale1 Android Enthusiast

weird thing is its the exact same voice that is in my hyundai gps,,, must be a korean thing

5. jbdan

jbdan Extreme Android User

I like the new voice, it's less robotic and more soothing than GBread voice :)

6. Yes, it's less robotic but she sounds like she is dying on her last breath. On my DX, I used SVOX Victoria from England for voice but it isn't ICS compatible yet. I'll be making the switch as soon as it's compatible.

jbdan likes this.
  7. Podivin

Podivin Android Expert

My wife said it sounded like she was about to cry.
    Blamed it on me because she kept telling me to make a u-turn and I didn't do it. Eventually she figured out the route I was taking and cried her way through the directions. :)

Gunner, alostpacket and jbdan like this.
  8. ALurker

ALurker Well-Known Member

My kids laugh hysterically at the new "woman". Definitely less robotic than the previous version but I also find it a little annoying.

9. 172driver

172driver Member

My kids think 'she' has a cold. Ha! Cracks me up.
    They always say it when they hear the new 'Maria', as we call her.

10. Frisco

Frisco =Luceat Lux Vestra=

This whole thread is amazing.

The most evolved Android smart phone on the planet has a sick/dying/old/crying Nav voice?

lol .. :D

jbdan likes this.
  11. drhill

drhill Android Expert

Yes it is. I have that exact setup on my Gnex. I wish SVOX sold their top level voices/engine, but that probably requires way more space/ram/power then what phones have from what I remember.

12. jkc120

jkc120 Android Expert

I actually preferred the voice on the Nexus' google navigation :( I miss it with the Rezound. It does sound a bit odd, but the pronunciation is much better than the old one. FWIW...

13. R850R

R850R Lurker

I did not like it either, so I went to Settings} Language & Input} Voice Search (Text-to-Speech Output)} Google TTS Engine} Language and selected English (UK).

Now it's a distinguished English chap that gives me directions...you can also tweak the speed of the Speech rate.

generic username likes this.
  14. filch

filch Lurker

Where do you tweak the Speech rate, I'm not seeing it. This is exactly what I think is the problem w/ the voice. It's being slowed and stretched.

15. filch

filch Lurker

Ah! I found it! I read your message a little better. Under the Text to Speech, it was set to slow speech rate. I bumped it up to normal and she sounds like a healthy woman again!

WOO! No more directions that make me want to kill myself.

Galaxy Nexus Forum

The Galaxy Nexus release date was November 2011. Features and Specs include a 4.65" inch screen, 5MP camera, 1GB RAM, TI OMAP 4460 processor, and 1750mAh battery.

November 2011
Release Date
Reviews