• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Navigation App (hear voice once again)

tinaberger

Lurker
Sep 24, 2010
Hi,

I just bought a Huawei Ascend G525, and I immediatley need the navigtion application for my car.

Therefore, I used the navigation app with google maps.
Right after setting the destination, a voice information says where to head for the next street

How can I hear this voice information once again?
Or is there a better navigation app than google maps?

I would be patient with Google maps and give it another try. In navigation mode, the next turn shows up at the top of the screen so you can read it (if safe to do so) even if you didn't hear it. And if you miss the turn, the Google lady will say "recalculating route" and give you directions from where you are now. It is probably the best free navigation app, the only downside from my view is that it can use a lot of data.

For free nav app that can operate without data, I'm partial to NavFree. Dead simple. Easy interface to watch during navigation. Also very good interface for manually zooming / scrolling around to understand the trip or look at an area. In particular, t any zoom level it shows a good level of detail without excess clutter, if that makes sense (in Osmand I see more clutter and fewer street names at a given zoom). Not always perfect directions, but hey you can't have everything (especially for free).

There are boatloads of options. Some do traffic reallky well. Paid can get pricey but have a lot more features.. I stick with Google Maps and Navfree and they serve me well through many many trips.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones