• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Navigation app

R Deep Singh

Mar 28, 2011
Hi guys,

So I tried using the navigation app the other day but noticed it wasn't on my phone anymore. I know Google Maps has been updated and tried to find a way to get the navigation going on that but it was really messy!

Has anyone else had this problem or found a solution?

Google maps has navigation integrated into it now. To get it working, you hit the directions button in the maps app, put in your destination, then once it loads, you press the start button with the blue arrow at the bottom (which you'll recognize from the days of the navigation app) and it'll go into navigation mode. All google really did was integrate navigation into google maps. It's a little confusing to do the first time but I feel like it really makes a more cohesive maps experience. Hopefully I was able to help.

Upvote 0
I noticed last night that although my Nexus 7 has the new Maps update, it still has the old Navigation icon.

Well ... strange thing, having the same Maps version some phones/tablets still have the Navigation icon and some haven't it any more.

Harry

Probably a bug. I'm willing to bet an update one of these days will drop the notification app from all devices.

Upvote 0
Hi guys,

So I tried using the navigation app the other day but noticed it wasn't on my phone anymore. I know Google Maps has been updated and tried to find a way to get the navigation going on that but it was really messy!

Has anyone else had this problem or found a solution?

I noticed the same thing!

I was annoyed because it happened half way through a journey as well so had to figure out the new way to get the navigation up,

I know its still in beta but whilst using it it stopped my phone charging on the car charger (a necessary for long journeys as the nav app eats battery life for breakfast!!) and also when I tried to launch the navigation from the car dock app it kept crashing!

Why mess about with something that worked perfectly!!

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones