• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Navigation GPS problem

vastheaven

Lurker
Dec 12, 2010
I just found my HTC Desire HD is NOT perfect!
The navigation application is always "searching for GPS", it does not work!
My GPS is definitely on because other programs such as Map or Location work properly.

I want to know if this is a software problem or hardware problem, and how do I fix it? Anybody else face this problem too?

Thanks.

vastheaven, I had the same problem when I first got the phone. Using the stock apps, whenever I am away from home and then switch on the GPS it takes up to 5 minutes to find the satellites. Using co-pilot, I usually get a lock pretty quick.

However, in London I've never been able to get a lock at all (walking) either with co-pilot, google or HTC navigation.

Upvote 0
Getting this problem too on navigation and maps apps. Have palyed around with all settings and still no joy. Satellite locator app seems to show that I can see at least three satellites with reasonable signal. Any suggestions greatly appreciated

three technically is enough to get the location but usually more satellites say 4/5 means higher accuracy. also, in-built apps arent the best, in my view, and apps like copilot or sygic usually give better results...

Upvote 0
three technically is enough to get the location but usually more satellites say 4/5 means higher accuracy. also, in-built apps arent the best, in my view, and apps like copilot or sygic usually give better results...

Even with five or six satellites in view luck to get a fix in under five minutes- google maps on my old Nokia N82 got lock in around 30 secs in same locations. Anyone contacted HTC/ aware of any faults in GPS unit? Even re-installings Maps has no effect and all other applications that use GPS are equally as slow.

Upvote 0
Even with five or six satellites in view luck to get a fix in under five minutes- google maps on my old Nokia N82 got lock in around 30 secs in same locations. Anyone contacted HTC/ aware of any faults in GPS unit? Even re-installings Maps has no effect and all other applications that use GPS are equally as slow.

i get a lock in less than 10 secs usually, so dont think there is much wrong with in hardware terms.

Upvote 0
Hi everyone, I've just got my Desire HD for 2 weeks now, and the GPS never works,I've been back and forth asking, seeking for help as I thought it might be the software problem, but now it seems its the hardware itself,brand new unit and GPS doesnt work ,,,how bad is that..iam trying to send it back for repair after new yr as they said its very busy now, dunno when they will return your phone, This is the first & also the last time I go with HTC. Anyone got any method to fix this GPS problems plz share it.

Upvote 0
Tried a method which seems to have solved the problem (I hope). Downloaded app "GPS Status" from Android market.

Then followed instructions as found on this site

(GPS Fix For CyanogenMod 6 On The Nexus One | Android News, Reviews, Applications, Games, Phones, Devices, Tips, Mods, Videos, Podcasts - Android Police), originally advice for Nexus One owners:

Take your SIM out of the Nexus One
Power on the device
Turn WiFi on
Turn GPS on
Open application: GPS Status
Go into its Settings menu
Click on GPS and Sensors
Click Manage A-GPS state
Click Reset
Click Manage A-GPS state again
Click Download
Now put your phone on a stable, straight surface in order to enable the phone to get a lock. This time, you’ll see your phone get the lock back way faster than before.
With that done, now it’s time to put your SIM back in and use the network to secure a quick GPS fix as well.

As I said this has worked for me so far. Let me know if it helps any of you

Upvote 0
Tried a method which seems to have solved the problem (I hope). Downloaded app "GPS Status" from Android market.

(GPS Fix For CyanogenMod 6 On The Nexus One | Android News, Reviews, Applications, Games, Phones, Devices, Tips, Mods, Videos, Podcasts - Android Police), originally advice for Nexus One owners:

Power on the device
Turn WiFi on
Turn GPS on
Click on GPS and Sensors
Click Manage A-GPS state
Click Reset
Click Download
Now put your phone on a stable, straight surface in order to enable the phone to get a lock. This time, you

Upvote 0

Power on the device
Turn WiFi on
Turn GPS on
Click on GPS and Sensors
Click Manage A-GPS state
Click Reset
Click Download
Now put your phone on a stable, straight surface in order to enable the phone to get a lock. This time, you

Upvote 0

Power on the device
Turn WiFi on
Turn GPS on
Click on GPS and Sensors
Click Manage A-GPS state
Click Reset
Click Download

Upvote 0

Power on the device
Turn WiFi on
Turn GPS on
Click on GPS and Sensors
Click Manage A-GPS state
Click Reset
Click Download

Upvote 0

Power on the device
Turn WiFi on
Turn GPS on
Click on GPS and Sensors
Click Manage A-GPS state
Click Reset
Click Download

Upvote 0

Power on the device
Turn WiFi on
Turn GPS on
Click on GPS and Sensors
Click Manage A-GPS state
Click Reset
Click Download

Upvote 0
The above gps status rejig worked for my HTC Desire HD. I was having the same problems as others. Something I did notice was the stock apps dont like using gps with out data on it. Especially Google. I then got copilot and it works first pop every time. I generally get 10-12 sats (bottom of NZ) and they lock in about 2 secs flat. Easy stuff. But i dont like how Copilot doesnt give you a heads up speed reading.
Any other programmes comparable to copilot in the mobile, android gps stakes?

Upvote 0
Just registered to say thanks. This worked for me, with my HTC Desire HD. Except I didn't have to power off, or take out the SIM card. Just load up the free version of GPS Status. Start it up, and choose TOOLS and A-GPS, and RESET, then DOWNLOAD. Exit out the program, and suddenly your nav program (Google Maps in my case), finds the GPS.

Upvote 0
Just registered to say thanks. This worked for me, with my HTC Desire HD. Except I didn't have to power off, or take out the SIM card. Just load up the free version of GPS Status. Start it up, and choose TOOLS and A-GPS, and RESET, then DOWNLOAD. Exit out the program, and suddenly your nav program (Google Maps in my case), finds the GPS.

tried this and the removal of the signal recieving part to adjust the contacts and still not much joy

Upvote 0
Just posting again to say that the GPS Status program did not solve my problem. Very frustrating going on a drive when I NEED my GPS, and it doesn't work. I even popped out the LED cover per the Youtube video, and I cleaned the contacts and stretched the springs....still the same.

So obviously this is not a hardware issue, but a software one, if running a program like GPS Status can make a difference.

My latest is to run the program called GPS Test by Mike Lockwood. What I do is run it, and just let it run. I "exit" it by hitting the homescreen button. In that way, the GPS is active. Then I open Google Nav, and it picks up a GPS signal asap.

Hmmm, could these issues be related to the fact Google Nav is a beta program? Maybe just having it on your phone messes things up? I see Google Maps had an update this morning.

Upvote 0
My latest trick which seems to help...

Go to SETTING - LOCATION and check OFF "Integrate Google Navigation".

Then, when I do try my GPS, it takes a while to lock on (30sec....1min), but eventually it will.

I agree, this is so disappointing. I have a 4.3" screen which I can't count on to use as a GPS.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones