• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Navigation & maps question

Matus

Jan 23, 2011
Hello, I understood that it is possible to preload the maps (up to some extend) for navigation for the case that one may not have signal to access the maps online.

So - my question is - how does the map-preloading really works? Is it's functionality depending on the OS version (2.1 versus 2.2)? Is it possible to decide which maps should be loaded in advance? For example like I want to go to Paris and know that I will either not be able to use internet via the phone at all or that it would be too pricey, so I would like to load the map of Paris prior leaving Germany and once there I would just use the built-in GPS for navigation?

I am really curios ...

Hello, I understood that it is possible to preload the maps (up to some extend) for navigation for the case that one may not have signal to access the maps online.

So - my question is - how does the map-preloading really works? Is it's functionality depending on the OS version (2.1 versus 2.2)? Is it possible to decide which maps should be loaded in advance? For example like I want to go to Paris and know that I will either not be able to use internet via the phone at all or that it would be too pricey, so I would like to load the map of Paris prior leaving Germany and once there I would just use the built-in GPS for navigation?

I am really curios ...

I believe it loads the map of your route, and slightly surrounding it in case you deviate, the map loading is based on the version of Google Maps you are using, not the Android version, you could always pre load the route and map in the UK by working out the route, and then turn off mobile data in your options, to avoid data costs.

Why not do a small run at home, plan the route on your phone and then drive it, but turn off mobile data,and see if it works.

Andrew

Reactions: ArtyFowl
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones