• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

navigation on hero

In the google maps application that comes with the phone? they download as needed & do not get saved, unless you switch to navigate mode after they download, but that will only work while you're on the path that navigate assigns. There are some paid apps that are stored on the SD card, but they are quite expensive. Map data is not very big, just download 3g watchdog & keep an eye on your data usage.

Upvote 0
are the maps pre installed , or does it download on the go

what will use my data when using this app
Assuming you mean Google Nav? In that case as already said they get downloaded as needed and are not saved.

Last Friday I drove from Tunbridge Wells to Cambridge and as an experiment decided to keep Google maps running the whole time. Surprisingly it kept updating fine and I always had the correct map tile. Data usage worked out at about 10Mb per hour at motorway speeds most of the time, so a lot less than I thought it would be.

I like the satelite view with Google maps, but that would take a lot of data I guess.

Reactions: adz63
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones