• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Navigation Software

Is it really that hard to hit the websites for these companies?

There's no US option for Navigon:
NAVIGON. And the world is yours

There is for CoPilot Live:
CoPilot Live Android: ALK Technologies

I was watching some videos of google maps (haven't got my phone yet) and it seemed kinda crappy. Is there nothing that works like a tom tom/garmin or something... for the US
You should try actually using it. What appeared "crappy"? And what do you mean by "works like a TomTom/Garmin"? Google Maps Nav does exactly that. Can you clarify what you see as the differences?

Upvote 0
Speak for yourself. Any Nav app that tells me to get off the highway and then immediately get on again is not the most reliable IMO.

I am speaking for myself. My Garmin told me that I had arrived at my destination when I was in the middle of the desert with not a building in sight, and I wasn't even on the road that my destination was supposed to be on. :eek: I think you'll find that all navigational equipment is going to have those quirky little hiccups at one time or another.

Upvote 0
The only thing I use our stand-alone Garmin system for anymore is speed and trip calculations (distance traveled) with a quick flip of the wrist while I'm driving. For actual navigation, I use my Incredible. I used VZNavigator on my BlackBerry, and haven't dropped the feature (yet) since moving to the Incredible. I go back and forth between Google Navigation and VZ Navigator. So far, one doesn't stand out from the other. Well, except for the fact that I'm paying $10 a month for an app that comes free on my phone. I'm pretty sure I'll drop the VZ Navigator soon.

Upvote 0
I'm using the Navigon. The navigation experience is much more polished than google maps navigation. Plus its a huge advantage that the maps are stored locally. So when you dont have a signal you can still navigate. especially for people like me who navigate fire roads in the mountains where no cell service is available.

Upvote 0
I'm using the Navigon. The navigation experience is much more polished than google maps navigation. Plus its a huge advantage that the maps are stored locally. So when you dont have a signal you can still navigate. especially for people like me who navigate fire roads in the mountains where no cell service is available.

Once you have set your route using Google Maps it will cache the route in memory in case you go out of network range so it can continue to guide you!

Upvote 0
Yeah,I've already tried Navigon 2.6.1 on my motorola milestone,it navigates real good,but the resolution is blurry. One other bad thing is,that there isn't a multitouch zoom,etc.+there isn't a slovenian language for navigon (I'm from slovenia).

Copilot has a slovenian language+its resolution is better than navigon's,too.

btw,that's too bad that Garmin app won't come out for android....that one would be perfect...

Upvote 0
Once you have set your route using Google Maps it will cache the route in memory in case you go out of network range so it can continue to guide you!

Doesnt work when youre exploring fire roads in the mountains. I know it caches, but what if you need to detour and theres no cell coverage, or make a mistake and get lost with no cell coverage... youre screwed.

Upvote 0
I like using my Garmin over my EVO for GPS navigation. I view it as a car appliance...and treat it that way. The EVO comes with me, and does my things...I let the Garmin take care of the directions.

I normally stream music in the car, and I keep my EVO on the Pandora app/widget so I can skip songs, of give a thumbs down easier.

If I didn't already have a Garmin, I probably wouldn't buy one though. I'd just use my EVO for GPS as well, but then I would have to buy a car mount. Also, with my EVO in the Seidio Rugged case, I'll need a generic mount, and I'll have to plug it in and unplug it regularly. Not my cup of tea...

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones