• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Navigation Software

TomTom's and Garmin's maps only get updated when you connect 'm to your computer/the internet and specifically sit down to do that. And pay for the updates! Free Google Nav's maps are permanently updated. For free. And they are much better and much more detailed with various layers.

The only thing that's better in TomToms is that you can select which voice gives you the turn-by-turn directions. Which you can't in GV.

Upvote 0
well i want to use it as my atlas aswell. if i need travel somewhere, i do exactly the same u jus said, but i want to use google maps offline as the new version supports offline caching, so i cahed a big area of map with full zoom in, worked offline really well but after 3 or 4 days, it just cant be cached with full zoom in in which i cached them.
wot shud i do to use the area on map that i chahed with full zoom in when i dont have data or wifi?

Upvote 0
I've used Copilot and NDrive on my old G1 (NDrive had problems with GPS signal, Copilot was ok).
Now I use Navdroyd (uses Openstreetmaps maps), coverage is very good in Europe (I think Openstreetmaps coverage for US is also good, but you can check it on OpenStreetMap ). Routing is pretty good, some features like "no turn", "one-way street" are bad implemented (but TomTom was also especially useless in this way).
User interface is not so fancy like on other navigations and the program is slower than other, but maps are still updated for free. Price is also ok (5EUR, about USD7). And the most important for me, I have all world in one program (traveling a lot on more continents).

Upvote 0
My job requires a lot of travelling around the UK and have had no trouble at all with my trusty tomtom but then I got a desire hd and started using the navigation app, it worked really well so I sold my tomtom.
I am driving to France later this month and the navigation app already has France installed. Perfect, I thought, but then I realised I need a web connection abroad to stream maps, which is very very expensive; so my question is......
I need a nav app with France and I need to download maps to memory so I am not connected to web, any ideas? What's best for me? Thanks in advance

Upvote 0
My job requires a lot of travelling around the UK and have had no trouble at all with my trusty tomtom but then I got a desire hd and started using the navigation app, it worked really well so I sold my tomtom.
I am driving to France later this month and the navigation app already has France installed. Perfect, I thought, but then I realised I need a web connection abroad to stream maps, which is very very expensive; so my question is......
I need a nav app with France and I need to download maps to memory so I am not connected to web, any ideas? What's best for me? Thanks in advance
Sygic suggested in the above post is the best for you. It is virtually identical to TomTom and has up to date France Maps (offline).

Upvote 0
Desire HD.
Hi,

I was after a pre-loaded map Sat Nav and looked at a few and finally bought NDrive for UK. (Latest Version 11)
Not too happy now but only done small amount of real life driving but on these few times, Every time I have had to use other maps to find my destination but these were quite rural areas in UK and really is a small test so don't let my post put you off,
I might have missed something, partly why I am posting so that perhaps others may point out what I may have missed.

The few post codes I wanted to Nav to were not listed (TomTom & Google found them OK)
A few road names I wanted were not listed, again TT & GN found them)
There is no navigate to Contacts
Does not seem an easy way to pre-add favorites, no manage fav's option. (although I have seen this ability mentioned when referring to NDrive but assume must be on a different platform).
The only way I can see is on the map, zoom & drag to the location and then tap & add, which can be handy but absolutely no use in most situations.

GoTo Google search, nice idea & one I quite like to use a lot. Seemed to miss a few thing I thought would be there. Also when showing matches only shows co-ordinates and not any part of the address. So as I found 3 matches but could not tell which one/if any were in the location I wanted, so you tap "show", try to work out on the map if it is the correct one, zoom out etc. if not, you can't seem to go back one step an try the other you need the goto/places/google and type the search again. Not often can be that specific to only return one result. Not a deal breaker.

As I have since read on android market, I also find it can stick on the old road despite turning off, perhaps for 10 to 20 yards, despite a v.good GPS signal. Most of the time it is pretty good with this but can be tiny bit laggy. Try to make exception for being a phone and not a dedicated unit.

Way too bright at night, have my desire on auto setting and fine otherwise, small issue & sure a way round this but seems odd no setting built it (Not that I have found)

ETA so far very optimistic, says will take 20 minutes on a fairly simple route, very unlikely to do in under 30 minutes. Not a big issue but is nice to get a rough idea, I suspect on a long journey take with a pinch of salt. Was spoit with TomToms amazingly good ETA, went 10 hours across France once and excluding stops was about 5 minutes out.

I Liked Google Navigator being free but tiny bit slow using data when signal not great.
Had for many years TomTom and were very good. But trying to avoid more stuff stuck to windscreen and with Desire HD nice to do it all.

What is odd is the overall feel & graphics indicate a really polished application but I can't get comfortable with it. I am going to persist but if I find any more postcode or address issues I will not be able to continue.

I really hope I am not giving a false impression of NDrive, please do your research on a trial. (which I did not, I read not easy to get a trial with maps, but again I might be mistaken, I just read reviews & just bought, think only

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones