1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Navigation

Discussion in 'Android Apps & Games' started by charleymn, Jan 6, 2014.

1. charleymn

charleymn Lurker
    None

Jan 6, 2014
    Hi there I am going on holiday this year and hope to use my Galaxy Y to find my way there, as I am new to the Y I am not sure how the phone navigates out of wifi range, i.e does it suddenly stop on you or will it take me all the way with no problems, as I said I am new to this so non technical reply will be appreciated, thanks, Chas.

Advertisement

2. Unforgiven

Unforgiven OK Google

Jun 23, 2010
    Male
    Douglas, MA
    Welcome to Android Forums charleymn. I moved your thread here (Android Applications) so members can help you understand how to use the various navigation apps available on Android.

The most common one used is Google Maps / Navigation as it comes free with Android. This will use data to load the maps surrounding your location as well as provide updated routing information (turn by turn instructions). It will use either WiFi if connected or your cellular data plan.

You also have the option to set up the route and then cache it (store it locally) so you could load it up while on WiFi and navigate without using your cellular plan. There are some limitations to this, including size and it only allows for a certain distance from your planned route (10 miles I think). If you miss a turn or decide to take an alternate path, it won't be updated.

I know there are many other navigation apps out there for both online and offline use. I'm just not familiar with them, so I'll let some other members chime it.

Good luck getting used to your new phone.