1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

General Navigon GPS app getting a little arrogant?

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by DaveSyd, Sep 17, 2011.

1. DaveSyd

DaveSyd Android Enthusiast
    None

Jul 19, 2011
    Australia
    Has anyone experiencing issues with the Navigon app provided free on my SGS2? I think it's provided to all SGS2, but mine is an Australian Optus phone and it is provided as a free download.

Over the last week or so it's come out of no where to feature virtually on top of the battery usage charts? The picture is below is typical. I have not even started or used Navigon during this time. I have also turned off the "Use Internet if available" setting in Navigon. I appdated the app from the market and it still occurs.
    https://market.android.com/details?id=com.navigon.navigator_select_samsung_pac&feature=search_result

Does anyone else see this or have any ways that I can try to regain control here?

Attached Files:

Advertisement

2. Ramrunner

Ramrunner Lurker
    None

Jan 21, 2012
    Did we ever get an answer for this? I NEVER use Navigon, as I already had a Garmin before getting this phone and I use that. I've tried rebooting the phone in the morning, and using task manager to kill running apps, yet at the end of the day 5-14% of my battery usage goes to an application (Navigon) I do not use. On a phone I have to be careful with anyway to make the battery last a day it's not good enough.

Any ideas please throw them my way.

Ed.

3. semus

semus Android Enthusiast
    None

Sep 20, 2011
    Male
    Try rooting and freezing the app, i think it should solve the annoying problem.

4. Russell Ng

Russell Ng Android Expert
    None

Sep 29, 2011
    Male
    Engineer
    Kuala Lumpur
    If its provided as a free DOWNLOAD, then you can uninstall it. Just get rid of it because its probably a poorly written code. Had some issues with voice talk in 2.3.3 but hadn't had it in 2.3.6

So updates can help, but if the latest updates doesn't, then its not worth keeping specially if you can get rid of it.

Cheers

5. DaveSyd

DaveSyd Android Enthusiast
    None

Jul 19, 2011
    Australia
    Actually I do use it. It seems to behaving itself now. In terms of the other comments - I think it is a reasonably good once you get it going.

I didn't get an answer from anyone but as usual I think I sus'ed it out. Basically Navigon was trying to download most recent maps all the time. In the settings I had it set to only download using Wifi (large files). However I hardly ever turn on wifi because it sucks my battery down (actually wifi direct but that is a story for another day). Since I have it on 3G and not wifi - Navigon was unsucessfully trying to download the files all the time. Once I turned on the wifi at home, then downloaded the maps again it was normal again.

Although the app has since been updated and settings layout is a little different than it was before. It works fine now - the only gripe I have with it is; even with the large screen of the SGS2 they still can't see to fit 7 menu buttons on there without having to scroll around.

Note Navigon once the maps are down loaded that's it. Google Navigation on the other hand keeps sucking data uasage the longer you keep navigating because it does not store the large map like Navigon does.

Have fun!