• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Navigon Navigator Coming To Android

Key features of the NAVIGON MobileNavigator for Android phones:

Reality View™ Pro displays photo-realistic 3D views with actual road signs and lane guidance for virtually every highway interchange and exit drivers will encounter.
Lane Assistant Pro helps drivers prepare to make an upcoming exit or turn by providing a lane map complete with arrows and actual road geometry.
Text-to-speech announces street names in addition to turn-by-turn directions. Instead of only stating “turn right”, the app informs the user to “turn right on to ‘Main Street’, enabling the driver to further concentrate on the road ahead and not become distracted looking for street signs.
Speed Assistant with adjustable audio-visual warning.
Day & Night Mode for map display.
Direct Access allows navigation to contacts saved in the phone's address book.
Route Planning
Branded POIs and POIs along the route.
2D and 3D map view.
Automatic switch between portrait and landscape format.
Intelligent address entry.
Real signpost display.

Upvote 0
The Google navigation is alright, but remember that it DOES rely in a data connection. If you go out to BFE, you could lose your data connection and thus not get any map data.

Having maps stored on the phone would be great. I'd love it if the Google navigation would allow you to plan a trip in advance and cache the map data, I'd love it.

I would suspect a navigation app from Navigon, or other vendors, would have the map data preloaded, and wouldn't have to fetch that data over a possibly slow connection, which could speed up the app.

I've encountered in the Google app that sometimes my position on the map actually lags my real position by sometimes a few car lengths... which could possibly lead to missing a side street or something...

Upvote 0
Nice thread revival :p.

Google Nav seems to have added most of these features since this thread was made. I'm pretty happy with Google Nav. Tidbit: Google Nav DOES cache the whole route if you start with a data connection. I've put the phone in airplane mode and talked to people (for hours) while navigating (over BT in-car hands free, of course :p) and the map stayed updated.

The only additions I would like added are personalized POIs (I could have swore this was in there, but I couldn't find an option to add a POI the other day :() and to change the friggin robotic girlish voice some something more human sounding.

Upvote 0
I need to be able to preplan and save a route with specific waypoints. Google likes to take me on the Cross Bronx Expressway when I route to my inlaws house, I prefer to avoid that at all costs. Not a big deal for me because I know my way across the Bronx via alternate routes, so I just deviate from the planned route, but my wife doesn't, so I need to preplan the route for her.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones