1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Root NC unrooted?

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by cstuber, Oct 15, 2011.

1. cstuber

cstuber Lurker
    None

Oct 15, 2011
    Telecom
    Nature Coast of Florida
    TOTALLY new to anything Android, so please go easy on me. Last week with the help of a friends son, 'rooted' my Nook Color successfully. We had a few burps along the way. CM7 did not load properly, or fully. Then lost the ability to go back to the stock Nook. (had Zeam which I'm guessing allows the option to boot to stock or CM7 but it disappeared). Then only portions of CM7 worked, couldn't download any apps (gapps was downloaded). Finally bit the bullet and followed some really good directions to get the Nook back to stock. I lost 3 Nook applications along the way but I have my books back.
    HOWEVER, I haven't given up hope (tee hee), though a little shy about it, I am looking to get back to either booting from an SD or some other dual boot option so that I can keep my stock Nook.
    My question is this, is my Nook still considered 'rooted'? After I got it back to the stock version, the newest B&N update was applied, 1.3 and I believe that over rode any rooting. Is this correct?

Advertisement

2. colchiro

colchiro Android Expert
    None

Jun 4, 2010
    Male
    Web developer/IT
    Rooted (stock rom modified to install/change anything) and CM7 (custom rom not at all like stock) are two different things. :D

I assume you tried to install CM7 on your NC and now are entertaining the thought of installing it on a sdcard so you can use either rom.

Here's my take on sdcard installs. It's nice to have two different roms, but the sdcard installation is:

Fragile. Sdcards eventually fail.
    Slow. Sdcards are slower than roms installed internally (aka EMMC), especially when you get the wrong brand and speed. If you want the fastest card, you'd want a 16 gb or 32 gb SanDisk class 2 or class 4 micro sdcard. Use a 32 gb if you intend to copy lots of music, movies, pictures or other large files to it.
    Harder to install. Lots more steps to install on an sdcard
    Harder to upgrade. Most of the guides we have here don't apply to sdcard installs. Follow the wrong guide and you'll have to update your sdcard again.

CM7 will do most things that your stock Nook will, with the except of reading books and running the stock B&N software. This is the B&N reader app that runs on CM7: NOOK for Android by B&N

CM7: tablet that can read books using any reader, but primary purpose is a tablet.

Stock Nook after rooting: reader than can do other things.

Now that I got that out of the way, what do you need your Nook for?

3. colchiro

colchiro Android Expert
    None

Jun 4, 2010
    Male
    Web developer/IT
  4. cstuber

cstuber Lurker
    None

Oct 15, 2011
    Telecom
    Nature Coast of Florida
    Thanks colchiro and for your learned opinion about sdcards :)

I use the Nook mainly to access my B&N books, so reading. BUT, I'm the adventerous type. When I'm board I like to tinker and when I heard about turning the NC into a tablet, well I wanted to see what that would offer. How would I know what it can do if I can't see what it can do? Since I carry my NC with me most of the time, thought this would be more convenient than lugging a laptop. Besides, I just plain like toys and gadgets!

Am I correct in this process? Rooting opens up the stock operating system to allow changes. CWM is a utility to make those system changes and CM7 is an alternate operating system. (I'm a dinosaur, big blue, so bear with me)

When we got CM7 loaded I couldn't go back to the Nook to read my books, that option (pressing the N or the power button, I forgot which) was no longer there. So, we tried to download the "NOOK for Android" but that wouldn't work. First no 'download' button, followed instructions to remove the market update, still wouldn't work. Kept stating it wasn't an Android product. Most applications didn't have the download button. I reloaded CM7, could get more applications to download but not the Nook application. I did get my Gmail, FB and a few other apps, that's it. But, I already had these on the NC and if that was the best that CM7 could offer then it wasn't worth all the trouble. HOWEVER, I refuse to believe that.

I still want my comfort zone of the stock Nook until I'm ready to commit since the first try wasn't such a good one. One thing I did learn from the previous attempt was that I needed a larger SD card. My friends son, we were doing this over the phone, forgot to mention that in the beginning. And, at 11:30 pm, an hour away from any stores, was not a good time to bring that up...LOL. But all is forgiven there and sdcards were purchased the next day.

Anyway, I did check out your link on "how to reroot after the B&N 1.3 update".

So thank you again, the answer to my question is that the NC is no longer rooted. Will get on that shortly.

Cindy in FL

5. colchiro

colchiro Android Expert
    None

Jun 4, 2010
    Male
    Web developer/IT
    Mostly correct. CWM is a place where you can backup or restore your rom (stock or custom) and install rom updates, but also install other non-stock updates. It's menu-driven and uses the volume, power and "n" buttons on your nook to do things (no touch screen). Rom Manager is an easy to use front-end for CWM to download roms and manage backups.

There were some Market problems with the NC that were resolved with a Nightly build of about #200. So any build after that should be fixed. It sounds like at least some of your problems may have been due to that.

I'd do one step at a time. Get it rooted for now, then install Titanium Backup (TIBU). Then you can get your apps backed up. BTW, any apps you purchased via B&N Market are not recoverable via Google's market. AFAIK your only option is to back them up via TIBU and restore them to CM7 and cross your fingers and hope it worked.

If you don't need read-to-me books, I'd recommend this (much easier than sdcard install):

1. Root and backup your apps/app data with TIBU (purchase it if you can)
    2. Do the Quick'nDirty upgrade to CWM 7.1 (I've got to get some screen shots for that), making sure you back up your rooted B&N rom so you can return if needed.

Then decide if you need to dual boot with an sdcard. :D

6. cstuber

cstuber Lurker
    None

Oct 15, 2011
    Telecom
    Nature Coast of Florida
    You've talked me into it.

I remember my friend's son telling me about the Titanium backup and thought I did download it but dang if I can find it on my PC. I did find a file called 'boot' which contains: android_secure, Android, clockworkmod, lost.dir, MILO, u-boot.bin, uImage, uRamdisk, uRecImg, uRecRam. I think we copied that off the sd card when he realized it wasn't large enough. My goodness...LOL, you'd think I was brain dead for not remembering. The poor kid was trying his best but the steps we took I couldn't retrace right now since they went in different directions. (try this, no, try this, or try this...)

We did use the Rom Mgr when trying to get a few things working. And I've used the CWM to put everything back to stock.

I will give it another go (fingers crossed). Um, I'll be back tomorrow if it doesn't work :)

Thanks and have a good night,
    Cindy in FL

7. colchiro

colchiro Android Expert
    None

Jun 4, 2010
    Male
    Web developer/IT
    The re-rooting will be the hard part. After that it's all down hill. :D