1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Near Field Communication! Your tasks?

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by Ghost10bxl, Mar 13, 2013.

1. Ghost10bxl

Ghost10bxl Android Enthusiast

So I recently got in to NFC, I bought few NFC tags (stickers and hangers) so I'm new to it just want to ask what you use it for?

I currently use it for:
    1) Bedside: I got a sticker that dims screen. blocking mode on, silent, and set alarm.
    2) Going to Class: WiFi off, Silent, Brightness to full (S3 isn't the brightest phone in the world in sun specially), Blocking Mode on
    3) Going out: WiFi off, Vibrate, Brightness to full, Mobile Data On
    4) Home: WiFi On, Sound on, Mobile Data off

I also use tasker but I think this one helps me better with these profiles. So I want to ask what do you use it for?a

Advertisement

KOLIO likes this.
  2. XplosiV

XplosiV Master X is Watching You

Kicking off a car profile with a non powered dock. Tasker does everything else for me.

Btw, you might want to edit the topic title to Near Field Communication... ;)

Ghost10bxl and funkylogik like this.
  3. funkylogik

funkylogik share the love peeps ;)

Im gona have to get some.
    Think theres already a thread here with some good uses but cant remember the title

4. Ghost10bxl

LOL didn't realise that thanks for telling... I new it's Near Field don't get how I came up with 'New'

5. funkylogik

Welcome to my world mate. Im forever making random mistakes :)

KOLIO likes this.
  6. Johnny Cakes

Johnny Cakes Android Enthusiast

I use Llama (easier than Tasker, imho) and I can't think of an instance where NFC tags would be easier than the automatic profile changing of Tasker/Llama. I guess the bedtime, since that can vary. Why do you like the NFC tags better than Tasker?

OTOH, I absolutely love NFC for McDonalds, convenience stores, vending machines, etc. (Google Wallet).

7. KOLIO

KOLIO Guest

ahh....the silent majority speaks;),no wonder I feel right @ home here:D....

:party:

funkylogik likes this.
  8. funkylogik

9. Ghost10bxl

I find it better because for going out for class, I don't want to turn on Mobile Data but for going out I do want it so with two different NFC tags it's better. For sleeping, I don't have a bedtime sometimes I go sleep at 11 and sometimes at 10 or 12. So putting alarm, silent etc right when I go sleep is awesome sometimes I may even be at someone's house at that time lol or travelling so don't want that to happen.
    Plus, I'm happy with tasker. With tasker i use things like Screen Rotation for apps etc

10. funkylogik

Bit off topic sorry but does having NFC on and an NFC app running in the background waiting for commands use much battery?
    Does Tasker, for that matter?

11. Kamau

Kamau Android Expert

That's when child support kicks in. :rolleyes:

I guess it's just me, but so far I haven't found a reason to even use it. I'm certainly not gonna use it with Google Wallet, and Tasker gets everything else done.

12. XplosiV

XplosiV Master X is Watching You

Minimal mate, Google now probably uses more juice :)

NFC does have it's uses, but more so if you don't want tasker or have no idea what/how to use tasker.

To quote the old saying, "anything NFC can do, Tasker can do better" except payments

funkylogik likes this.
  13. Ghost10bxl

I don't find a huge drastic difference I had NFC on all the time. Maybe 1% extra

funkylogik likes this.
  14. ldivinag

ldivinag Well-Known Member

i use it to activate the twin 50 caliber machine guns on my truck... ;)

Samsung Galaxy S3 Forum

The Samsung Galaxy S3 release date was May 2012. Features and Specs include a 4.8" inch screen, 8MP camera, 1GB RAM, Exynos 4412 Quad processor, and 2100mAh battery.

May 2012
Release Date
Reviews