1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Nearly unusable if the apps can't be moved to the SD Card

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by gelige, May 13, 2014.

1. gelige

gelige Well-Known Member

So my excitement about having a new phone has gone flat. It looks that there is no way to get enough space on this phone to install a normal suite of Google Applications on it. Although Google Translate installs, it says there is not enough space to download an offline language. Usually, I have two offline languages downloaded for translate.:(:thinking:

Advertisement

2. LG Fanatic

LG Fanatic Android Enthusiast

The big Achilles heel of this phone is its internal storage. As you've seen, most pre-installed apps can't be moved to the sdcard. Perhaps there's another translation app in the playstore you can use?

3. gelige

gelige Well-Known Member

I think the Google app is great, and in particular like the phrasebook, and that words I looked up in the browser, are also available in the history on the phone. So, its going to take more than the app on the phone to get me to change translation apps..

yes, it seems that this phone would work better on Jelly Bean, then KitKat.

Not sure if its true, because its just one of those things that I read on the internet, but someone is saying that Samsung is doing the best job at allowing apps to be moved to the SD card, and still have the new safety benefit that is rooted in Kitkat.

4. ppglg

ppglg Lurker

I went through all the apps after I added some that I was using on my previous phone. I was able to move some of my apps to the external sd card. I've had no problem with the internal storage so far. I just got the phone yesterday.

5. 9000cody

9000cody Well-Known Member

I found that disabling a bloatware app does give some small extra space

6. gelige

gelige Well-Known Member

I spoke to soon, I am able to move a few apps to the SD card, but many less than was possible with the LG motion, and also with the alcatel Fierce. So low memory combined with Kitkat limitations remains a big problem with this phone.

7. Hadron

Hadron Smoke me a kipper...
    VIP Member

But pre-installed apps are usually installed to the system partition, so aren't using space that user-installed apps could use anyway (so no gain if you could move them). The only catch is that updates to these via the Play Store will use your space, so if there are any you don't use uninstalling updates to them and then disabling them (so Play Store doesn't nag you about updates) may release some space.

8. gelige

gelige Well-Known Member

On this phone several of the bloatware apps were probably installed under data because they are removable. They include the translation and document viewing applications. Some apps with Metro in their name, are only able to be rolled back in the way you described to the factory state.

9. LG Fanatic

LG Fanatic Android Enthusiast

Right, thanks for the correction! I'm learning more and more from the android veterans.:D

10. TJayDroid

TJayDroid Well-Known Member

Chiming in with an add'l question here... I've never had the need to move Apps to SD. I do note that quite a few of my apps have that option on their info screens. Is there any drawback to doing this? And .. just because it has the "Move to SD Card" option available, does it really mean that it will work just fine?

Also...not sure if it was noticed, but if you do lots of messaging/MMS'ing, you can use the SD card for storage for the stock messaging app (available in the SMS Settings screen).

11. biggiephil

biggiephil Android Enthusiast

Yeah when I move my apps to SD they still work fine, second that's interesting about the MMS, thanks

TJayDroid likes this.
  12. TJayDroid

TJayDroid Well-Known Member

Thanks for the info. Just tried it with a few apps and they seem to work fine. Interestingly, though, I noticed that one particular photo app which has lots of ancillary "data" (filters, stickers, etc.) doesn't move that data over. Just the app. Is that one of the limits of the "Move-to-SD" option?

13. Nintendo1889

Nintendo1889 Android Enthusiast

So does directory bind not work on this phone?

I have an lg motion and was looking at getting the free upgrade, but seeing this space issue bothers me. I have about 3 gigs of apps on the motion.

14. gelige

gelige Well-Known Member

What does directory bind mean??

If your willing to root this phone, then the kitkat limitations are removed. i don't want to root as long as this is my active phone, I need 100% reliability.

Google has been making sounds that they hear these complaints, and will improve kitkat. Who knows if or when that will happen, and if the changes will be rolled into this phone.

I'm hoping that Metro comes out with a good phone soon. It has been boring.

15. gelige

gelige Well-Known Member

The kitKat, limited memory of this phone, continues to be annoying.

The phone just refused to update Chrome because of insufficient space.

I don't have any games installed. I limit the other apps I have on the phone, I've already removed Google Keep from the phone to get more space. Keep is a Google product, they should let it, or the data associated with it move to the SD card.

I now removed BOX, and one other app that was about 40 MB.

Okay, time to climb down from the soap box, now that I've got that out.

16. AndyOpie150

AndyOpie150 <strong> <a href="http://androidforums.com/optimus

There are ways to improve your current situation.

Do you have an 8GB or bigger micro SD card?

17. gelige

gelige Well-Known Member

32 GB, I'm not willing to root the phone.

18. nps531

nps531 Well-Known Member

well go into your system / app settings and see what can, if anything, be moved to the sd card. other then that your not rooting the phone is going to make the phone less enjoyable

19. AndyOpie150

20. gelige

gelige Well-Known Member

i've been able to move Yelp and SoundCloud to the SD Card, gained me about 35MB. :hmpf: Agreed, the phone isn't that enjoyable unless I root it. But I shouldn't have to..

21. AndyOpie150

Go to the link in my last post. You will be able to free up a whole lot more space with App Manager lll.

22. Nintendo1889

Nintendo1889 Android Enthusiast

Directorybind was a script made for moving apps to SD on the LG Motion, apparently it was specific to that phone. If Metropcs rolls out these kitkat updates, they'll probably disable the towelroot exploit at the same time! :mad:

LG L70 Forum

The LG L70 release date was April 2014. Features and Specs include a 4.5" inch screen, 8MP camera, 1GB RAM, Snapdragon 200 processor, and 2100mAh battery.

April 2014
Release Date
Reviews