• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Need a good task killer app

Pabben

Lurker
Jul 17, 2013
So in my dad's S4, after holding the middle button, it will show all of the currently running apps in the background. With just one click(clicking the bottom right option) all of the apps will be killed and the phone will be "fresh". I want an app that will be able to do that for me. :/ Because the thing is, I have an android phone, 4.1 jellybean, and it does almost the same thing as my dad's S4 but it's not as efficient. Because to kill an app that is running in the background, you have to touch and hold the app, click the option that will appear to kill it, then it will be ended. It is a hassle because you have to kill each app individually and it takes a long time to kill many apps whereas my dad's S4 can kill all the apps with one click. I want an app that will kill all apps running in the background with one click if possible.

So, any suggestions? :) Sorry in advance. Just got my phone today. I am a complete nub. My phone, btw, is from a local brand here in the Philippines(MyPhone).

Hi Pabben, welcome to Android Forums!

Android is based on Linux, so it operates a lot different than Windows. In Windows if something is running that shouldn't be we open up the Task Manager and kill the process. We normally don't do that in Linux.

Why You Don't Need a Task Killer

Edit: Ninjad by a lunatic /giggle

Upvote 0
Yeah its wrong but a very common mistake.
The apps arent actually running, theyre just cached there so that the next time you open them, they open faster, use less power to open and open to the place where you left them. Also a task killer will kill apps that the phone is using and android will just open them again using more battery.
Android has its own automatic task killer that is far smarter than anything we can do so just trust thet phone :thumbup:

Upvote 0
not to go against the grain or anything, but a task manager app does have benefits. sometimes apps will misbehave, and your only option is to force close them. a good task manager simply makes this easier than going into settings -> apps -> running -> force stop. they also usually come with things like cache cleaners and SD movers.

auto-kill ones are bad.

Reactions: funkylogik
Upvote 0
not to go against the grain or anything, but a task manager app does have benefits. sometimes apps will misbehave, and your only option is to force close them. a good task manager simply makes this easier than going into settings -> apps -> running -> force stop. they also usually come with things like cache cleaners and SD movers.

auto-kill ones are bad.

True that.

I use Watchdog (free version from Play Store) to check on things when my phone starts to act up. Mostly to see what is using CPU. But it also has an app kill feature that you can use manually. But since I uninstalled facebook's app, I have not had the need to. hhhmmmmmm

Upvote 0

auto-kill ones are bad.

This is different than merely killing an app that should be running. Take Watchdog for example. This lets you know about apps that are using more resources than they should, which allows the user to contact the misbehaving app developer so that it can be repaired/tweaked. Much much different than randomly killing apps. ;)

Upvote 0
i tried watchdog for a few days then uninstalled it because of battery or cpu use or wakelocks, cant remember which lol. Its an app id install maybe every month for a day to check things out :thumbup:

I don't know what it is about AOKP, but I had a ton of wakelocks from random apps when I was running it (clean flash between updates too). Give another rom a try and see if you still have all of the wakelock problems.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones