• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Need a little help... Tried to flash Cyanogenmod but got stuck on Android 2.2.

Typhoeus

Nov 6, 2011
Hi there

I finally decided to go for it and root my Desire HD. It took me some time but I eventually made it with some great tutorials from this site and others. The first thing I did afterwards was to make a backup, so I'm not really worried.

Anyway, I wanted to try to flash Cyanogenmod and everything seemed to be going well until I got stuck in a bootloop. I restarted the phone and went into the bootloader (I think), but now I can only boot my phone up in Android 2.2. with no settings and no apps.

When I go into recovery I only get the red triangle, if I press vol up and power button I get some options, but none of them work.

I was using 2.3.3 before. Do I need to root again to be able to go back to my backup or flash Cyanogenmod? I'm kind of lost but I think I'm just doing something really idiotic and that with some help I'll be alright. Like I said, I'm not worried, I just want to get back to my backup so I can have another go at this. Maybe I only need to but some file on the root of my SD card?

I guess you might need some more information than I've provided, if so please ask, and also tell me where and/or how to get that information.

As long as you're in the phone and you can still boot etc you should still be fine. :)

The good thing is, if you're running 2.2 at the moment, it's a relatively easy process from here. Do you still have an app called Super User on the phone at all? Also, can you go into the bootloader (hold the volume down whilst powering on) and check to see if it says ACE PVT S-OFF (I can't remember the exact wording apologies). I'll presume the answer to both is yes, but if you check first, I'll know what instructions you're gonna need next.

Reactions: Typhoeus
Upvote 0
It says: ACE PVT SHIP S-OFF

No, I don't have any apps now except the stock. The phone is like brand new so to speak. Nothing but the stock apps on it right now.

Thanks a lot for the fast answer, and yes, I'm not really worried, just figured I did something wrong, no harm I guess since the phone doesn't seem to be bricked.

Upvote 0
Ok, it's most likely you still have root too, but download the Superuser app, see if that opens and says you have root access. If you don't, you'll need to get root again with Visionary. Once Visionary has done it's thing, you can download ROM Manager.

From there, if you want to go with CM7, there's a comprehensive install guide here.

Does that all make sense?

Upvote 0
Easy enough to sort now, just stick ROM Manager on, then go through the Cyanogen install guide.

Edit: Just saw the post by CDPlant above. If you're coming from a stock ROM, it's probably best to wipe first, using the post I linked above. ROM Manager is fine if you're going of one version of Cyanogen to another, but it's best practice to do it manually in clockwork so you can wipe the partitions that ROM Manager can't wipe yourself.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones