1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Root need a little help

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by fireguy676, Dec 15, 2011.

1. fireguy676

fireguy676 Lurker
    None

Dec 15, 2011
    Hi, so I currently have a rooted HTC EVO 4G. I bought it rooted, and am still learning about all this. The phone is great, but my wifi does not work. The wireless tethering works fine, and as far as I can tell nothing else is wrong. I'm not sure how it was rooted, all I know is that I am running Superuser v3.0.6 (40)

Also, I am being nagged by my phone to do a system update, but I have read in several different forums that doing so with a rooted phone can actually brick your phone. Not really looking to do that, cause thats just dumb.

Advertisement

2. argedion

argedion The TechnoFrog

Jun 20, 2011
    The Infernal Swamp
    Welcome to the Forums

Ok so first lets get your Update Notifications turned off that will stop the phone from trying to get you to do an OTA.

If memory serves me right on a Sense Rom you will want to do:
    Settings>About Phone>Software Updates uncheck the autocheck for updates or notify me of updates or what ever is says when the dialog box ask you if you really want to click yes and then exit that screen.

Wifi
    Reboot phone into recovery. go to wipe and clear cache and dalvic ONLY. then reboot phone and try wifi if it still does not work we may have to set you up with a new ROM.

ocnbrze and Granite1 like this.
  3. Granite1

Granite1 Zercron Encrusted Tweezer
    None

Dec 27, 2010
    Male
    Highway Construction Inspection
    Pittsburgh, PA
    DO NOT ACCEPT AN OTA!!!

You did the right thing by waiting. :)

Accepting an OTA while rooted can in fact screw things up pretty bad. I haven't personally seen a bricked phone from doing such on here, but stories float around.
    Now that you're rooted you never have to accept an OTA anyway, you can update your phone when YOU want to. ;) You just have to download the rom of choice, flash said rom, and enjoy! :D

The stock recovery on the evo when you bought it, had one function only. To accept an OTA (over the air) update. In the process of rooting the phone the stock recovery was replaced owith a custom recovery allowing you to do all the cool stuff to your phone. Recovery is where the magic happens! :D Once this is done the phones ability to accept an ota update is removed, thus accepting an ota with a custom recovery can do really strange things. It can start to update your radios and fail, which absolutely positively will brick your phone! It can update your bootloader (hboot) to a newer version and turn your securities back on, which may not be rootable, and leave you in limbo. All around BAD JUJU!

ocnbrze likes this.
Tags: