• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Need a new TV, but.....

It was probably 'HD'. (Where they have 'HD' labeled in the bottom corner, but it's still in 420p.)

Many free broadcasting stations (ABC, CBS, etc.) broadcast a HD signal for free. All you need is a TV with a digital tuner and your all set. Of course, if you use the receiver the cable or satellite company gives you, they won't be in HD unless you pay for it.

Its 480i by the way. That's standard definition.

Upvote 0
If your cable is coming in at HD (whatever that happens to be on your carrier...720, 1080i, etc), then you can just buy a splitter, and run the coax to the other TV under the carpet (or above the ceiling). Verizon did that with my Fios, and let me tell you, each TV in the house is as clear as the next (when running HD).

I'm not sure who your provider is, but it shouldn't make a difference if you split the signal. They normally cost between $30-$50 though. If you buy a weak splitter (for less), you will be sorry.

**EDIT** You should ask this at www.broadbandreports.com forums. Those guys are incredible when it comes to TV/Internet stuff. If you post in your carriers forum, you will surely get an answer on how to proceed. You don't even have to register there to post...

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones