1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Need a tablet?

Discussion in 'Android Help' started by ucliker, Nov 8, 2014.

1. ucliker

ucliker Lurker

Well I need a tablet and I prefer it to be android and on at&t. I will be using it for school since all of my textbooks are digital now. The issues I am running into is most of the new tablets have lots of issues Galaxy tab s 10.5 and Note pro 12.2 over heat, crash, blue screen of death. I was thinking of the nexus 9 but for the price it's a not really worth it, plus it has a 4:3 screen. So could someone chime in with there opinion regarding this since I'm lost. I really don't want to be forced to get an ipad.

thanks in advance

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. nickdalzell

nickdalzell Extreme Android User

I've never had issues with overheating or crashing on any Samsung device. but for most TouchWiz and lag are deal-breakers and Samsung remains bloated as well. if i need a data-enabled tablet i succumb to an iPad just to avoid the need to root or remove crap.

3. kate

kate Dreaming of Bugdroid.

Hi ucliker, welcome to the site!

I moved your thread to the Device Comparisons forum :)

ucliker likes this.
  4. ucliker

ucliker Lurker

Well apparently the issues lie with new at&t branded galaxy tab S and Note Pro 12.2. I've even spoken with At&t and they admit that they have been dealing with issues with those devices. So your saying ipad basically. Also it seems you own a few android tablets nickdalzell, are there a lot of tablet optimized apps in the play store? I currently own the Note 3 and absolutely love it. I've been back and forth with apple and android for years and I like android because I can do anything with it. It does get frustrating from time to time though.

5. chanchan05

chanchan05 The Doctor

Blue screen of death? Really? That's a Windows thing, not an Android thing.

Does the tablet need to be on AT&T? I mean you can get a WiFi only tablet with no carrier branding and bloatware, and no carrier specific issues to deal with. Carriers tinker with the firmware of their devices which have caused several similar issues over the past years.

6. ucliker

ucliker Lurker

Yeah as far as I know the blue screen only happens on the galaxy note pro 12.2 at&t. I spoke with at&t and they confirmed the issue. prefer an Lte Tablet but if not I'll live with just wifi. I was thinking of the Tab S 10.5 but that over heats easily and the battery life isn't good.

7. nickdalzell

I heard of a BSOD on iPhone 5S but never in Android. If Android has a fatal crash you see a dead android with red or yellow triangle graphic, depending on how severe it is.

The BSOD in the iPhone isnt a true BSOD, but a kernel panic image without any text or graphics. Just a literal blue screen. The iPhone reboots itself shortly after.

Android also just reboots itself in a fatal crash, out of memory condition or panic.

ucliker likes this.
  8. chanchan05

chanchan05 The Doctor

The tablets don't really overheat. That's just a product of having a small space and powerful chipsets. The entire back of the tablet serves as the heatsink. There are similar issues for any powerful tablet in a smallish form factor. I still remember when iOS detractors pointed that issue on the first iPad Air.

Anyway, the Tab S uses an AMOLED screen, which probably adds to the heating if you're running bright colors. You can check out the Tab Pro series. It's cheaper, uses an LCD screen, and has very good specs.

ucliker likes this.
  9. BRAINZ2013

BRAINZ2013 Extreme Android User

My tab s doesn't get hot but this sucker is quick with download. I do smell burning when charging from 5% and only the red 5% or lower . Samsung told me to watch out it can get hot . in some kidzone items
    I think this tab s is worth the money I can mirror my s5 and TV to tell the kids get in the bed :eek::D very nice product a+ in my book

ucliker likes this.
  10. ucliker

ucliker Lurker

You smell burning when your charging? I don't think that's normal at all

11. ucliker

ucliker Lurker

I just need a tablet that's 10" or more and won't give me any problems but will also be upgradable. I don't like buying electronics at the end of their life-cycle, especially when there's a new OS coming out. Is the tab pro line near the end of it's life cycle?

12. BRAINZ2013

No it isn't but Samsung replaced it overnight . the Samsung tab pro just came out been a year now maybe less the tab s came out back in June 2014

ucliker likes this.
  13. BRAINZ2013

If you in the us now is the time for DEALS . you know its Christmas and a sale now and bigger sale when it turns January

14. fixed1t

fixed1t Lurker

I'm afraid the bigger the tablet the hotter it gets and the quicker the battery will die. Also, you need to consider the weight a lot of people are beginning to suffer with painful shoulders and wrists from holding heavy tablets. If your young with good eyesight I'd go for a 7" best of all worlds. I've been repairing some Nexus 7 units here in the UK (checkout out my fixed1t youtube tutorials) and they seem really stable and quite sturdy, even the older 2012 units (cheap on eBay) are still up to the task even when upgraded to KitKat 4.4.4 Bigger isn't necessarily better ;-)

ucliker likes this.
  15. ucliker

ucliker Lurker

I'm not so worried about price. I was considering the Nexus 9 but for the price and since it's 4:3 aspect ratio I could just buy an ipad. Idk what to get but I really don't want a small tablet for reading, I have a Galaxy Note 3 and it's hard to read a lot on it. The Nexus 7 is great for someone who really needs a budget tablet thats really mobile. I don't tend to take it out of the house that often except maybe for class on occasion. I've also heard that theres isnt that many tablet optimized apps for android, can anyone confirm this?

16. chanchan05

chanchan05 The Doctor

Not true. There are several tablet optimized apps. However I'd suggest an 8-9in form factor. It's better than 10inchers for gaming, but the screen is big enough for easy reading.

BRAINZ2013 and ucliker like this.
  17. ucliker

ucliker Lurker

I wasn't saying there wasn't any apps I was asking. I don't really game on mobile that often just my PC. I'm more interested in reading books, textbooks, web articles and magazines. Basically it's either a Samsung or an ipad. thanks for all your help guys.

18. nickdalzell

You notice on 10 inch and larger that apps aren't tablet optimized the same way they are on iPad. Usually a phone app gets blown up and distorts or looks fuzzy. The Nexus 10 sees this a lot. It remains one of few shortcomings with Android app development, although Play Store today does specify whether the app is designed for phones or for tablets, or both.

Being objective, I have to state that yes, Apple has more tablet optimized (10 inches plus) apps available, and they also have better more reliable versions of certain popular apps (Android still has an inferior Facebook app, and games such as Real Racing 3 look better on the iPad, and seem to run in without anti-aliasing on Android tablets)