• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Need a Weather app and IM app

darkcyber

Android Expert
Nov 12, 2009
North Alabama
Ok, I am brand new to the android OS and I am using a new Motorola Droid and I need a couple of suggestions on software. I know I can find a bunch via the 'market' on my droid, but I need some specific apps.

1. I need an IM program that supports Jabber/XMPP protocol and supports GROUP CHAT. I hi-light the group chat part, because that is the most important thing I need. On my BB Storm, I could find IM programs that supported Jabber/XMPP all day long, but NONE did group chat.

2. I need a weather app that will display radar maps with the radar data and will overlay warning boxes. i.e. will fill in the county with a color showing a Tornado Warning, Severe Thunderstorm warning...etc. and watches as well. I used Berry Weather on my BB Storm with a modified link to the Weather Underground to accomplish this.

Thanks in advance! I know a lot can be found on the 'market' but the descriptions are not always the best.

Anyone have any suggestions? I have installed a few weather apps, IMap Weather being one of those and it claims to offer watches and warning, but I have seen none on Droid IMap. I did check out their web site and could see watch/warning boxes on the same map on their site, but not on the phone. I do have those turned on.

So, any other apps out there that might do this? And are there any 'group chat' IM programs?

Upvote 0
For weather, I use the full version of Weather Widget, which shows the time, date, and weather on my home screen. If you click on it, it'll give you the weather for the next three days. It does not show you the local radar, however, but there is a separate app called Radar Now that will.

As for your IM, I don't know. There's Meebo IM, but I don't know if it'll group chat.

Upvote 0
Hey DarkCyber, I'm guessing you're looking for something with Jabber/XMPP for NWSChat. I'm in the same boat. Did you ever find anything that worked for you?

As far as weather goes, the best I've see so far is the Weather Channel, which sucks, becasue I'm not a fan of TWC to begin with. Someone needs to figure out a way for GRLevelX to work with the Droid. :)

Upvote 0
It sounds like iMap Weather will fit your needs best. It shows you lightning strikes, radar, and temperatures overlaid on a map, plus the prerequisite live conditions for your GPS location.

Then try WeatherBug, and see if it meets the rest of your needs for weather alerts, etc. It has a network of thousands of schools with weather stations for more "hyper-local" conditions (e.g., possibly closer to you than the nearest NWS station).

Some have complained iMap is sluggish. I have a Motorola Droid with 2.1 and had no problems.

I did stop using the WeatherBug widget because it stopped updating the temperature and conditions, but the app it linked to worked just fine.

If you find a good IM program, let me know :)

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones