1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Need advice from the Pros!

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by mrfubar, Aug 8, 2012.

1. mrfubar

mrfubar Lurker

Ok I've rooted my EVO LTE and currently am running superLTE and flashed the Awesome-lr kernel.

I'm still new to all of this but I'm loving Apex. So here is my issue. I still feel like my phone is a little bloated and not at its full potential. I'm glad I ha e rooting and flashing this Rom a shot I never want to go back. So here are my questions.

1. Is SuperLTE the way to go?
    2. I was just told by someone random to put that kernel on but so far haven't noticed anything different. What does it do and should I keep it or is there another one out there that's better?
    3. Is there a way to completely whips everything that came on the phone and just run pure superLTE? I followed the guides on whipping the four options when flashing LTE (using TWR).

I'd like to run this phone as pure superLTE as possible where I'm not dealing with any old file systems, apps, etc. I want it to be efficient and get good battery life. Any tips there? I want a clean phone. I've heard of apps that lower your CPU clock when you don't need it but not sure which programs are good and which ones are just flops. I've tried two with no joy.

So knowing I want a clean phone running APEX, longer battery life, what do you suggest I do?

Thanks!

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. jackgibbs

jackgibbs Android Enthusiast

I've never heard of that kernel, and I can't find anything about it, so I can't help you there. where did you find it?

as for the rom, it is completely subjective. you just have to go with what feels right to you, and understand that all phones are different and will run things differently from device to device. I haven't tried superlte, but it looks like a great group of devs there, so you can't go wrong with it.

as far as getting pure superlte, so long as you did a full wipe, system/data/cache, then you will start with a clean slate and will be running the rom exactly as the devs gave it to you.

3. Rxpert83

Rxpert83 Dr. Feelgood

4. mrfubar

mrfubar Lurker

I'm happy with how APEX turned out. I've been told viper4g is sluggish.

It is the awesonesauce kernel. Should I try a different one?

When I first put superLTE on it kept giving me the option of running APEX or Sense so I just felt like there was two operating systems running. I wanted to make sure it wasn't buggy. I have had a couple apps shut down on me with no message do thought my phone was having issues.

Anyway what are some apps to help maximize my battery on a rooted phone?

5. Rxpert83

Rxpert83 Dr. Feelgood

Apex is simply a launcher. You can use that on any ROM & You are still running sense underneath it.

Important root apps:
    Su (duh :p)
    Titanium backup-backup app data
    SetCPU-allows you to overclock the phone for better performance, and change the governor for better battery life.
    Adfree-goodbye ads!
    Root explorer (ES File Explorer works as well and its free)

There are others, but it depends on your preferences and what you are trying to do.

I think you'll be pleasantly suprised by Viper4G. I dont find it sluggish at all.

Granite1 likes this.
  6. Rxpert83

Rxpert83 Dr. Feelgood

The Viper4G is the updated version of the PKMN ROM. Its got the newest base and no pok'e anything as far as themeing goes.

I'd suggest either Viper4G or MeanROM.

7. jackgibbs

yeah, apex is a third party launcher, so technically the sense rosie is still there in the background, but it shouldn't affect your battery or performance. if you really hate it you can use a file manager to go into system/app and delete the rosie.apk. then reboot the phone and the sense launcher will be gone.

that kernel looks like it's basically the same thing as enoch, so you can use it to over/under clock your cpu, change governors, and change your i/o scheduler. since you want battery life, you may want to try a different governor (I assume you're on ondemand right now since that's usually the default) of the governors he's provided, you might want to try smartass2, intellidemand, lionheart, or conservative. they all tend towards battery more than performance. this thread has good explanations of each governor. this thread explains all the different i/o schedulers. how well everything plays together on your hardware will determine which combo is best for you, you just have to experiment.

the random app closures sounds like maybe a multitasking problem? are you doing a lot of stuff when it happens? have you checked the built in task manager to see how much free space you typically have? *eta* just flipped to the end of the awesomesauce thread and it looks like he's playing with the memory settings, so that may explain your app closures

Granite1 likes this.
  8. mrfubar

mrfubar Lurker

So what's the best app for power management?

9. jackgibbs

how do you mean? are you asking for a task killer or do you want something to control your cpu/memory etc?

if it's the latter, I use setcpu, but only because I paid for it two years ago when it was basically the only cpu manager in the market. now there is a bunch and for free. the one that seems to be the best now and comes both free and paid is rom toolbox. it does basically everyting you could ever want to do to your phone. you can use it to set your clock speed and governor, and you can also use it to play with your memory settings to see if it will make your app closures go away.

Granite1 likes this.

HTC EVO 4G LTE Forum

The HTC EVO 4G LTE release date was May 2012. Features and Specs include a 4.7" inch screen, 8MP camera, 1GB RAM, Snapdragon S4 Plus processor, and 2000mAh battery.

May 2012
Release Date
Reviews