• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Need advice in choosing a tablet

Which one would you go for?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

toylas

Lurker
Nov 4, 2010
Dear all,

Need:
I've been thinking of buying a tablet for a few months now. At first I was going to wait until mid 2011 when they have the right implementation of Gingerbread in tablets but I think my present needs require a tablet for convenience. My biggest need is to be able to carry the research papers and research books with me instead of carrying a few hundred pages of print-outs and books and be able to read them easily. Having done a lot of reading on this forum as well as other online websites, I have decided to go for a relatively cheap tablet now and get a decent one next year when hopefully I'd have graduated and will have a real job (**crosses fingers**).

Choices
I'm thinking of getting either the Archos 7" 8G model or the ZT180 10" Model.

Questions
1) How much of a difference does it make when reading a pdf on a 7" vs. a 10"?
I know it's subjective but still do you think it's worth spending ~$50 more on the 10" for reading pdfs (especially research papers)? I have some inclination for the 10" screen but then the 8G inbuilt memory, better battery life and $60 less price (a big factor for a broke student like me) from a US seller are positive points for the Archos 7.

2) Where would you buy them? I think from my reading here it seems like JT is the only reliable chinese seller. But has anyone had trouble with customs etc. in the US? Amazon has the Archos 7" for ~$190 and the Zenithink US people have the ZT180+8G microSD for $250 Do you think it's worth buying from them rather than the long wait and possible hassles with customs?

3) Any other good choice for the same price?

Any help in making a decision would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks a lot!
T

i will choose ZT180 10"
smile.gif

Upvote 0
Im also searching for a decent alternative(and cheaper) to the ipad, (i hate anything apple), seems like theres not much out there to choose from right now except for the chinese stuff on ebay is the ZT-180 a decent enough pad to surf the internet with? Also, where can u get one from a U.S. dealer?

Assuming things stabilize with the vendor you should be able to get ZT-180's in the U.S. from zenithink.us. That said there've been a couple reports of issues with zenothink.us.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones