• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Need advice on choosing a rom

smiffeh

Lurker
May 14, 2011
I've been thinking installing a custom rom on my Shift in order to get 2.3 as well as better performance. The only roms I know of right now are CyanogenMod 7 and evervolv.

Would someone be so kind as to recommend any other custom roms? Also, what are the chances of bricking my phone and what precautions should I take to avoid it?

I've been thinking installing a custom rom on my Shift in order to get 2.3 as well as better performance. The only roms I know of right now are CyanogenMod 7 and evervolv.

Would someone be so kind as to recommend any other custom roms? Also, what are the chances of bricking my phone and what precautions should I take to avoid it?

The chances of you bricking your phone are very unlikely but not impossible. Just make sure you make a nandroid backup before you flash anything.

CM7 is a nice ROM, I would definitely suggest giving it a test run.There's also a Desire Z port that I believe is running gingerbread and Sense 2.0.
I've been using MIUI for the past couple of weeks and I love it.Very different than any other ROM. Here's a link MIUI Speedy Release Thread Current: 1.4.29 (updated 4/30/11) 4G is currently not working though.

Upvote 0
I tried evervolv , then cm7, then went back to evervolv. And i LOVE it. Havent tried MIUI but im not that much of a fan of the iphone layout.

I think evervolv and cm7 are the only 2.3 roms out there for shift, i believe. I could be wrong.

You missed MIUI.. it's running 2.3.3 :) It's been a while since I ran the Desire Z port, it may be just be froyo with Sense 2.0.

I have ran all three Gingerbread ROM's mentioned and there all nice in their own right. I think it's just all about personal preference.

Reactions: Enraged21
Upvote 0
Upvote 0
the rom's layout looks just like froyos. How so is it different?

Look at the pics again... In the notification tray there is the option to go to quick settings (bluetooth, wifi, 4g ect.) or notifications. Also it shows the most recent used apps at the top of you notification tray. Also there's the ability to change "Skins" There's several different skins included in the ROM that will slightly change the UI. You can view your app drawers as all applications, frequent apps or downloaded apps. These are all changes in Sense now that it's running Sense 2.1. It's basically a stock rooted ROM running both Gingerbread and Sense 2.1. Just waiting on an overclocked kernel and I may run this one for a while.

Reactions: EarlyMon
Upvote 0
I just installed CM 7 and so far I really like it. My problem is I cant access the internet unless on wifi. Does anyone know if its something I did or didnt do? I called Sprint and one person said it was there network while another person said the network is fine. Does anyone know if Sprints network is having trouble in the Akron Oh area or is it something on my part?

Upvote 0
I just installed CM 7 and so far I really like it. My problem is I cant access the internet unless on wifi. Does anyone know if its something I did or didnt do? I called Sprint and one person said it was there network while another person said the network is fine. Does anyone know if Sprints network is having trouble in the Akron Oh area or is it something on my part?

Flashing Cm7 shouldn't affect your browser. What happens when you try and use the browser? Is it just really slow or does it not work at all? Are you able to do other things that require data such as Facebook, Twitter ect.

Upvote 0
Hiya! :)

The only other thing I can think of to try remove doubt would be to go a few miles away, if convenient, and see if your 3G comes thru - if that happens, it's definitely a tower issue.

Armed with that info, you might be able to compel Sprint to check their towers in your area.

That's the best I can think of - wish it were more.

Reactions: mjbaker64
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones