• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Need advice.

t12b25

Android Enthusiast
Jul 22, 2012
Miami , Fl
Hi everybody, chromebook with chrome os/Linux or Windows /Linux which is better? Thinking about getting a chromebook just not sure. Just want to browse Internet, stream video, and watch videos I have on my sd card. If I can root my phone it'd be great I just don't know how hard it'd be on Linux to do, if possible (lg g stylo) . What do y'all think?. Thank you for all the help.
Anthony.

For what you want to do with the exception of rooting your phone, the chromebook would be just fine. I'm not sure if the LG tools are available for Linux, though. If you can flash an LG phone with fastboot, then Linux would be good. Of course, I'm not sure where you'd get a laptop with linux only.
I didn't mean buying a laptop with Linux only. Sorry if I made it sound that way. I meant if I dual boot the laptop with the 2 os' would I be alright with Linux dual booted. If that makes sense. Thank you for the help, I appreciate it. Reason is I can get a chromebook for $99 tomorrow.
Anthony.

Upvote 0
Oh, gotcha. Yeah, you'd be fine. I have always dual booted my laptops. I currently have a DELL POS with Win10 and Mint 17.2 and have no problems with it. :)

Of course who can pass up a chromebook for $99? ;)
Thanks again for the help. It definitely sounded like a great deal. Hopefully I make it on time for good sales.
Anthony

Upvote 0
Mint is based on Ubuntu and uses Ubuntu repositories for updates, but where Ubuntu is tied to Gnome 3 or KDE as thew primary environments, you have more options with Mint. If you are new to Linux but familiar with Windows, then I'd recommend Mint Cinnamon as the easiest distro to cut your teeth on. :)

Just to expand on this, Ubuntu's Unity desktop is very user friendly. Hides all of the complexity you get with KDE, and in my opinion is very user friendly. Not everyone likes it, probably established Linux users who don't like the look and feel, but for new users I reckon it's quite good. I agree that Mint is also very user friendly.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones