• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Need an adware scanner, don't know where to start...

So I, like many other people, have a few Android devices that I constantly install/uninstall software on, looking for that perfect game, that perfect scheduling app, etc...

This morning, I had 6 or 7 notifications for "suggested" games and apps. Never had this before, and I definitely want to remove it. I've been installing a lot of the Amazon FAOTDs so that they are at least on my account, and I can redownload them later if I want. I usually look at the reviews to see if the things are getting bad reviews, but since Amazon has no requirement for leaving reviews, this isn't always the best source.

Anyway, I need to figure out which scanner is the best and easiest to use. Most likely, this would be the most recently installed app from yesterday(Allrecipies.com), but a smart developer would put something in that would pause the adware for a day or two, so that you couldn't use this approach to removing the offending software.

So my question is really a multi-part one.

1. How do I make sense of these adware results? Which ones post notifications for things like suggested apps?
2. Is there a way to keep the app but disable crap like this?
3. Is there one that will monitor real-time so that I can figure out which app is responsible for these particular problems? Maybe list every app that accessed an ad network since I last checked?
4. Which of these have acceptable risks? I understand that "free" games aren't free, but I don't have a lot of issues with DeadTrigger 2, for example, and I'll accept ads for a free game, I just won't accept things that pop up when I'm not running the app in question.
5. My biggest part of this: What's the most useful app for sorting all of this out? There are a million out there, many from reputable companies, once again, I just don't know which is best.

THanks guys, and sorry for the novel, this is just making me angry, and once I figure out which app it is, I'm installing it, but not until I've listed this crap in my review.

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones