1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Need an app to lock my screen orientation from ever turning right

Discussion in 'Android Apps & Games' started by durps, Mar 22, 2011.

1. durps

durps Well-Known Member
    None

Nov 14, 2010
    I've been searching and can not find what I'm looking for. Basically, what I want to achieve is this. I want my phone to always be able to switch portrait and landscape mode, but without switching to the opposite side of landscape.
    What I mean by this is that I only want my phone to switch it's orientation when I tilt it to the left, which brings up landscape mode, or when i tilt it back to normal which brings up portrait mode.

The problem is that my phone ALWAYS switches to landscape mode when i tilt it left AND right. I want it to only switch when I tilt it LEFT. Which app locks to phone from ever going into the 3rd orientation?

I know someone will recommend me a auto-rotate widget app, but that's not what I'm looking for. I know that on certain phones, it switches the orientation no matter what position it's in, even if upside down. Don't want that, just want my phone to rotate in 2 directions instead of it being able to rotate in 3 directions, my phone is rooted, using 2.3 (Gingerbread), and Launcher pro plus.

Thanks for any input!

Advertisement

2. Rob.G

Rob.G Android Enthusiast
    None

Nov 15, 2010
    Male
    United Stated
    Tasker can do this. If you disable Auto Rotate in the phone's settings, set up Tasker to re-enable Auto Rotate only when the phone has been turned on it's left side.

I know Launcher Pro also can disable the homescreen from rotating, so if you want Tasker to rotate that as well, you would need to disable that setting in Launcher Pro.

durps likes this.
  3. durps

durps Well-Known Member
    None

Nov 14, 2010
    Awesome! Do you know how I go about and apply this in Tasker? Don't know much about setting it up.

4. Rob.G

Rob.G Android Enthusiast
    None

Nov 15, 2010
    Male
    United Stated
    In Tasker;
    New > State > Orientation, check Left Side, Done
    New Task > + > Display > Display Rotation, select On, Done > Done > Apply.

The settings will turn themselves off when the phone is not on the left side so you don't need to tell Tasker to turn it off.

durps likes this.
  5. durps

durps Well-Known Member
    None

Nov 14, 2010
    Thanks a lot! Will give it a go.

Edit: Just applied it, it works, but lags. It's a hit or miss though. Sometimes it'll take about 10 seconds for the screen to finally change, sometimes it won't change at all.

6. durps

durps Well-Known Member
    None

Nov 14, 2010
    Actually it's horrible now. After it has already switched, when i open new apps or windows and such, it goes back to portrait mode.
    I used to have an app that would always prevent it from turning right. Just dont remember what it was called.