• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Need app killer help

garybeck

Android Enthusiast
Apr 19, 2011
I have an older phone with memory and storage issues, so I downloaded an app killer to try to keep things clean

(phone is LG Optimus V, app is "Advanced App Killer Free.")

I found it kinda works, but several apps keep showing up in the "running" list just a few minutes after I kill them.

Is there an app that will kill apps you're not using and keep them OFF "permanently," until you manually start them up?

It seems useless to kill apps when they just start up again right after you kill them.

Thanks
gary in vermont

Reactions: gilbequick
Don't bother with task killers, they do more harm than good because they just end up fighting with the internal processes in Android that will restart the apps.
There are things you can do if you are willing to root the phone, but at this point it may just be time to move on to a newer phone.

the phone is rooted....
and I don't want to give up my $25/month deal for unlimited, so I'm holding on to this phone as long as possible!

what can I do, now that you know the phone is rooted?

Reactions: funkylogik
Upvote 0
That app killer isn't going to help at all with your memory or storage issues. First, you might want to rethink what you consider memory issues. Are you getting errors? or is your phone just showing much of the memory in use? If the former, then the issue is probably a misbehaving app, if the latter, that's the way Android is supposed to work.

Take a read through Why You Don't Need a Task Killer.

If you let us know which phone and android version you've got, there are better ways to optimize it. We'd be happy to help you with that.

Edit: Sorry, just saw you listed your phone DOH!

Upvote 0
what carrier are you on OP? if the phone takes a sim, couldnt you buy something like the Moto G and stick your sim in it?
Phones have really came on recently and not just the high end ones :thumbup:
An app killer really isnt the answer.
What are the apps that keep starting again? If they arent essential apps you could freeze or uninstall them since youre rooted but if they arent just bloatware, the system is probably starting them because it needs them

Upvote 0
yes it's an optimus V.
android version 2.3.7
rooted with Cyanogenmod

i'm already using Link-2-SD to link almost all my apps.

just runs slow and freezes sometimes so I thought it would be good to stop apps that I'm not using but are running in the background.

Ah, okay. I'd suspect your SD card. Running apps from SD can really bog things down and it wears the cards out quickly. Yours might be failing.

You shouldn't have a problem keeping your data plan with a new phone. I've been grandfathered into unlimited data through my last four phones.

Upvote 0
I use Link2SD to,"Freeze" apps that I only need now and then like Google Play and it's services etc and can then unfreeze them when I have a need for them.This keeps my old Galaxy ace slick.

Also programs I want to keep but only use now and then I back-up the .apks with the free ESfile manager and then uninstall so if I need them I can quickly re-install and not have to re-download.

Note:I copy the contents of my SD card to my PC as well just in case and have Nandroid backups of my running rom/setup.

HTH :)

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones