1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Need app killer help

Discussion in 'Android Apps & Games' started by garybeck, Jan 20, 2014.

1. garybeck

garybeck Android Enthusiast
    None

Apr 19, 2011
    I have an older phone with memory and storage issues, so I downloaded an app killer to try to keep things clean

(phone is LG Optimus V, app is "Advanced App Killer Free.")

I found it kinda works, but several apps keep showing up in the "running" list just a few minutes after I kill them.

Is there an app that will kill apps you're not using and keep them OFF "permanently," until you manually start them up?

It seems useless to kill apps when they just start up again right after you kill them.

Thanks
    gary in vermont

Advertisement

gilbequick likes this.
  2. Fox Mulder

VIP Member

Feb 19, 2012
    NYC
    Don't bother with task killers, they do more harm than good because they just end up fighting with the internal processes in Android that will restart the apps.
    There are things you can do if you are willing to root the phone, but at this point it may just be time to move on to a newer phone.

3. garybeck

None

Apr 19, 2011
    the phone is rooted....
    and I don't want to give up my $25/month deal for unlimited, so I'm holding on to this phone as long as possible!

what can I do, now that you know the phone is rooted?

funkylogik likes this.
  4. lunatic59

lunatic59 Moderati ergo sum

Jun 12, 2010
    Male
    IT
    Pennsylvania
    That app killer isn't going to help at all with your memory or storage issues. First, you might want to rethink what you consider memory issues. Are you getting errors? or is your phone just showing much of the memory in use? If the former, then the issue is probably a misbehaving app, if the latter, that's the way Android is supposed to work.

Take a read through Why You Don't Need a Task Killer.

If you let us know which phone and android version you've got, there are better ways to optimize it. We'd be happy to help you with that.

Edit: Sorry, just saw you listed your phone DOH!

ocnbrze, funkylogik and Crashdamage like this.
  5. garybeck

None

Apr 19, 2011
    yes it's an optimus V.
    android version 2.3.7
    rooted with Cyanogenmod

i'm already using Link-2-SD to link almost all my apps.

just runs slow and freezes sometimes so I thought it would be good to stop apps that I'm not using but are running in the background.

6. funkylogik

funkylogik share the love peeps ;)
    None

Sep 15, 2011
    Male
    monkey
    Paisley, Scotland, Western Europe
    what carrier are you on OP? if the phone takes a sim, couldnt you buy something like the Moto G and stick your sim in it?
    Phones have really came on recently and not just the high end ones :thumbup:
    An app killer really isnt the answer.
    What are the apps that keep starting again? If they arent essential apps you could freeze or uninstall them since youre rooted but if they arent just bloatware, the system is probably starting them because it needs them

7. lunatic59

lunatic59 Moderati ergo sum

Jun 12, 2010
    Male
    IT
    Pennsylvania
    Ah, okay. I'd suspect your SD card. Running apps from SD can really bog things down and it wears the cards out quickly. Yours might be failing.

You shouldn't have a problem keeping your data plan with a new phone. I've been grandfathered into unlimited data through my last four phones.

ocnbrze and funkylogik like this.
  8. PaulS

PaulS Android Enthusiast
    None

Sep 24, 2013
    Male
    I use Link2SD to,"Freeze" apps that I only need now and then like Google Play and it's services etc and can then unfreeze them when I have a need for them.This keeps my old Galaxy ace slick.

Also programs I want to keep but only use now and then I back-up the .apks with the free ESfile manager and then uninstall so if I need them I can quickly re-install and not have to re-download.

Note:I copy the contents of my SD card to my PC as well just in case and have Nandroid backups of my running rom/setup.

HTH :)

funkylogik and ocnbrze like this.