• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Need beta-testers for voice-controlled driving app

mderrico

Sep 17, 2011
I've just finished writing a new app called "I'm Driving" and I now need a few people to test it.

This app does the following:

- reads incoming text messages out loud and lets you reply verbally
- reads incoming emails out loud and lets you reply verbally
- when you get an incoming call, it'll tell you who's calling (using your contacts list) verbally and then verbally ask you if you want to take the call. You just have to say "yes" to answer it or say "no" to send the call directly to voice mail
- you can verbally bring up a map that shows you where you are and the map updates your location as you drive
- you can have the map show traffic conditions verbally
- you can have the map show an arial view verbally
- you can zoom in and out of the map verbally
- you can send texts verbally
- you can make calls verbally
- you can find things like bars, restaurants, etc around you or anywhere else verbally
- you can do web searches verbally (if you're pulled over to the side of the road!)
- you can ask for directions verbally (uses your default navigation app)
- you can launch another app (like Pandora) verbally
- you can raise and lower the volume of the app's voice verbally
- works with BlueTooth

It uses Google Voice as the voice recogitoon system, so make sure you have Google Voice Search installed. You also have to spend several minutes with the app so that Google Voice "learns" your voice. The more you use it, the better Google Voice understands you, and the better this app works.

If you're interested in testing this app out, send me a PM or respond to this thread.

Thanks for all your help! :)

-----------------
UPDATE:

The app is now in the market if you want to try it out.

https://market.android.com/details?id=com.markderrico.drivingassistant

Reactions: yaras1979
I've just finished writing a new app called "I'm Driving" and I now need a few people to test it.

- when you get an incoming call, it'll tell you who's calling (using your contacts list) verbally and then verbally ask you if you want to take the call. You just have to say "yes" to answer it or say "no" to send the call directly to voice mail
- you can verbally bring up a map that shows you where you are and the map updates your location as you drive
- you can find things like bars, restaurants, etc around you or anywhere else verbally
- you can do web searches verbally (if you're pulled over to the side of the road!)
- works with BlueTooth

It uses Google Voice as the voice recogitoon system, so make sure you have Google Voice Search installed. You also have to spend several minutes with the app so that Google Voice "learns" your voice. The more you use it, the better Google Voice understands you, and the better this app works.

If you're interested in testing this app out, send me a PM or respond to this thread.

please add me to the list:

charlie

pls reply to this address: cmfpsyd@gmail.com

Upvote 0
I would like to join. Using a Samsung Galaxy II S (SGH-T989D) on Telus, so far, none of the other apps similar to this work - at least not for reading emails out loud. It has been disappointing, to say the least.

I have tested:
Announcify (loads, does not work at all, stays quiet)
Vlingo (non-native Samsung) - not bad, but SmartReader does not read anything
Vlingo (native Samsung) - no email reading capabilities
Drive Safe.ly - does read a bit of the incoming email, but I need it to do more

Upvote 0
I would like to join. Using a Samsung Galaxy II S (SGH-T989D) on Telus, so far, none of the other apps similar to this work - at least not for reading emails out loud. It has been disappointing, to say the least.

I have tested:
Announcify (loads, does not work at all, stays quiet)
Vlingo (non-native Samsung) - not bad, but SmartReader does not read anything
Vlingo (native Samsung) - no email reading capabilities
Drive Safe.ly - does read a bit of the incoming email, but I need it to do more

Thanks! I just sent you a PM with all the info.

Mark

Upvote 0

- works with BlueTooth

Me please

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones