1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Need constant power to car charger

Discussion in 'Android Lounge' started by Chaznsc, Mar 31, 2012.

1. Chaznsc

Chaznsc Android Enthusiast

Installing a cig power adapter but would like constant power. Whats the easiest way to accomplish?

chaz

Advertisement

2. Sideman

Sideman Well-Known Member

What do you mean by "constant power"? The lighter power socket only ejects when the lighter has reached it's temperature. It won't eject your charger adapter. And there's plenty of current available.

If you mean you are installing one into your car, you should hook it up directly to your battery, or a dashboard terminal that comes from the battery. That way it will still be active even when the car is turned off.

Be careful that you pick the right connection if you choose to look under the dashboard. Don't want to be blowing fuses.

Does this answer your question?

3. Chaznsc

Kinda LOL
    Just need to connect to a source thats ALWAYS on. If I locate a HOT wire, can I splice into?

4. Sideman

Well, you need to be sure that it can supply the current you'll need for the charger, and whatever other device might get plugged into it. You might want to check with an auto shop and ask them where you can tap in. It does make a difference.

If you're handy doing simple work on cars, you could run a pair of 14 gauge wires directly to the battery. But if not, get advice from someone who knows what's going on under the hood of you particular model of car.

Doing it wrong can cause damage, or even a fire. You should really go to an auto shop for advice. You might even just have them instal it for you...that would be the safest way.

5. jefboyardee

jefboyardee Extreme Android User

Or to the feed to the dome light switch, one of few of the interior

6. Chaznsc

UPDATE:
    I was able to run wires (+/-) from the battery to a cigarette socket and hard-wire that. I'm getting juice, but the phone is not charging. The phone says "charger attached" but it is not charging and the phone dies. Phone charges fine on the wall charger in the house.

Ideas?

chaz_

7. Sideman

Are you sure you have the polarity correct? If reversed the charger won't charge...and could even get damaged. Check the voltage, with a voltmeter, at the lighter plug to verify the polarity is correct.

8. Chaznsc

As in positive to positive and negative to negative?

9. Harry2

Harry2 Extreme Android User

Your car charger might be the reason for this not proper charging if your phone runs high power consuming apps like navigation while charging.

Does this car charger charge properly when it is connected with your build-in-car cig lighter?

Harry