• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Need Guidance - How do I create a shortcut for the notification panel

nicky612000

Lurker
Nov 18, 2009
I have a bunch of email accounts setup on my Droid. Draging down the notification panel or clicking menu then notifications gets tiresome after a while. I would like to create a shortcut for the notification panel, that I can place on my home screen. Anyone know how I can do that?

Because when you select the bar at the top you need to drag the bar all the way to the bottom of the screen. Half the time I end up dragging my calender or another icon. I normally open it by going go menu->settings, but I would rather have a home shortcut to open this up. I have 3 different emails accounts and get an average of 500 emails a day. Now do you see where this dragging over and over again can get tiresome?

Upvote 0
I have a bunch of email accounts setup on my Droid. Draging down the notification panel or clicking menu then notifications gets tiresome after a while. I would like to create a shortcut for the notification panel, that I can place on my home screen. Anyone know how I can do that?

Try the "Notification" shortcut when you press the settings hard key? If not, try AnyCut, available in the Android Market. Its a really simple GUI that creates shortcuts to not only apps, but services and contacts as well.

Actually, you don't need to "Press-n-drag", you can just "flick" it down, as its momentum activated. Any Cut is nice though. I just wish I knew the shortcut commands for more custom setups.

Upvote 0
Because when you select the bar at the top you need to drag the bar all the way to the bottom of the screen. Half the time I end up dragging my calender or another icon. I normally open it by going go menu->settings, but I would rather have a home shortcut to open this up. I have 3 different emails accounts and get an average of 500 emails a day. Now do you see where this dragging over and over again can get tiresome?

500 emails a day the droid isn't the right device for you to begin with.(blackberry). You don't need to drag to bottom. Try just a quick flick.. you really don't have to go more than half an inch.

Upvote 0
Thanks colnago... AnyCut is pretty cool, but it doesn't do the trick

Fair enough, but as stated, you have a few ways that are essentially the same effort as a shortcut:

1. Quick flick the Notification bar to avoid the "long drag"

2. From the home screen, press the dedicated Menu key, the press Notifications shortcut (already made)

3. If you don't already know them, learn the shortcut switches, and code your own via Any Cut. I assume they are similar to the paths in Windows OS shortcuts.

Now if you're talkin about getting to notifications with a short cut from sleep mode, that's a whole other ball of wax.

Upvote 0
I know options 1 and 2. I would love to just code it myself but I don't know the act and dat code for that notification link. Does anyone know where I can find that?

Well, you're on a DROID forum, which exists inside an Android forum...I suggest looking higher up.

:p

Seriously though, I was gonna research this tomorrow as there are a few services I want to setup. But for notifications, it would be like re-inventing the wheel. I don't see how it would be any easier than what it is now. Sleep mode shortcut would be different, but don't think it can be done.

Upvote 0
For the same reason you create shortcuts to applications which are a slider way. It is one click access to something that I use hundreds of times a day, rather than two click access or worrying about dragging the bar and moving other things on my home screen.

Its like the Windows 9x world where you couldn't put Control Panel on your desktop, you needed to click start to acess it. One click access for something you access all the time saves time, which is why I am looking for it. I really can't be too difficult to pull the code, the button is already in the menu options. I would rather just ask someone with Google API experience before I tried it myself.

Upvote 0
Fair enough.

Any Cut will probably be your best bet as you probably need to just figure out if you have to use any switches, the instructions or paths to the executable...basically 1-liner stuff.

FWIW, I swore I saw an "email pop-up" app in the market. Supposed to be a clickable ballon maybe...might want to check that out.

Upvote 0

I too am interested in this, and I know it is possible because I love using it in Home++ Launcher, but I am thinking about switching to HelixLauncher2 for it's added home row and ability to remove icon labels, but I still want to keep the notification bar hidden until I press a button (not swipe as there would be nothing to swipe on a hidden bar). I currently press the Exclamation Point icon in Home++ and I just want to somehow replicate that shortcut using Helix2. Any ideas?

Attachments

• CAP2010050805392.jpg
    CAP2010050805392.jpg
    340.4 KB · Views: 61
  • CAP201005081122.jpg
    CAP201005081122.jpg
    339.7 KB · Views: 52
Upvote 0
K-9 is an e-mail package that will combine all you your e-mail sources, i.e., G-Mail, POP3 and IMAP. It has a widget that can be placed on your home screen and it gives an unread message count. It's not a whole lot different than the stock mail services, but it combines them all into one shell. I use it an like it pretty well. The widget would give you a 1 Button home screen option. Did I mention that it was free?

BigRedGonzo

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones