1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Need Help - 4.0.4 Issue

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by Rocco3366, Aug 10, 2012.

1. Rocco3366

Rocco3366 Newbie

Hi Forum, i got quite i big issue, i got a new phone (SGS2) back from Carphone and updated it to 4.0.4 now it keeps freezing and the only way to sort it out is to take the battery out. Note it was only after 4.0.4 update.
    It responds to no buttons.
    Thanks in advance, Rocco3366​

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. Shotgun84

Shotgun84 Extreme Android User

It's probably remnants of your old firmware interfering with the new. Wiping your phone should sort it out.

Rocco3366 likes this.
  3. Rocco3366

Rocco3366 Newbie

Thanks for the reply, jw what does clear cache actually do? IK it clears the cache but what does the cache do?:D

4. Shotgun84

Cache is basically stored data from previous processes. So the next time your phone needs to do the same thing it takes it from cache instead of starting from scratch.

Maybe I missed a step. It might be worth just clearing cache first to see if it helps.

5. Rocco3366

Rocco3366 Newbie

WOW, Thanks a bunch did factory and working like a charm :D

Shotgun84 likes this.
  6. Shotgun84

No problem. Enjoy:)

7. Rocco3366

Rocco3366 Newbie

You seem to know alot, have you got any sweet apps that i should check out?

Shotgun84 likes this.
  8. Shotgun84

Don't shout that one out too loud. I'm sure a few of the regulars to the gs2 forum will have something to say about that:D

It really depends what your after. I love to tinker with my phones so the majority of the apps that stand out to me require root access. If there's any apps that you feel are lacking I'll try and give you an alternative. I will recommended handcent message though instead of the stock messenger app. After opening it up and looking at what settings it has you'll wonder why stock never did that.

9. Hawker

Hawker Android Expert

he knows how to jump ship, that's for certain!
    :D

Nah, old Shotty is a good old stick, and certainly knows his onions.
    Whereas ironass knows his cheeses! :)

10. Rocco3366

Rocco3366 Newbie

xD I've tried go message i think before that was pretty good, i'll check handcent out, i'm planning to root after my contracts end, as i'm not good mates so to say with vodafone, i'll link you to why i'm not if you're interested in looking, http://androidforums.com/vodafone/598141-vodafone-water-damage-scam.html, I can't think what apps i would like a replacement for xD Also, does rooting void warranty?

11. Rocco3366

Rocco3366 Newbie

First impression of this forum, an amazing community. A Great help everyone is, on other forums, i.e hackforums, i just get flamed xD

12. Shotgun84

That just wrong, sorry you had to go through that.
    Rooting will void your warranty. Although the funny thing is a lot of warranty problems can be sorted out by a seasoned rooter. Although there are some that can't.

That's pretty much my opinion and why I stuck around. When I first joined I was a complete Android noob and then I met everyone in this forum who taught me everything I know

13. Rocco3366

Rocco3366 Newbie

Ah no probs, got a brand new s2 via Carphone cause they installed a messed up software xD

Will probs stick round here then :D

Also been reading about rooting/custom ROMs etc Whats a signed/locked boot loader and whats a kernal and last one whats seasoned booter? Sorry about all the questions, i'm one of them people that like to know a lot about a certain subject xD

14. Hawker

Hawker Android Expert

Better get that postage stamp out then butty!
    :D

Shotgun84 likes this.
  15. Shotgun84

The bootloader is basically a program which runs the install of firmwares/roms/kernels. So if the bootloader is locked it won't let you. The gs2's bootloader is open though so you don't need to worry about that.

The kernel is what controls everything your phone does. Sort of like the conductor of an orchestre. It tells things what to do when.

I think you mean seasoned rooter. Well that's me. Someone who loves rooting their phones and flashing custom roms.

Seriously don't apologies for asking, I was the same before. You don't knew if you don't ask:)

16. Rocco3366

Rocco3366 Newbie

Haha thanks for the amount of detail xD is there a app where i can view the forum on s2 as it just reloads the page on dolphin and i cant delete history on google chrome :-(

17. Shotgun84

Yeah the cheque's in the post. Although you did here about that postal strike?:D

18. Rocco3366

Rocco3366 Newbie

Thought i put rooter stupid me xD

19. Shotgun84

Don't worry about it, I thought I wrote know:D

20. Rocco3366

Rocco3366 Newbie

XD last one i promise xD whys my battery going so quick? Is it cause its a brand new battery and needs to get into the swing of things

21. Shotgun84

The battery will take a few charges to reach it's full potential, well that's what I've noticed anyway. It does also depend what you do with it. I've seen people getting a couple of days from one charge but I've not got a hope of doing that as I use my phone as a pocket PC, so if my screens on its usually searching this forum. It might be worth turning your phone off and giving it a full charge. You'll notice if you charge it to full while on and then turn it off and plug it in the battery isn't actually full.

A tip from my old gs2 days was turn the phone off, charge to full, unplug remove battery for a few minutes and then stick your phone back together. That would calibrate your battery to the proper level and you'd see an improvement. Which should work since you have a gs2

heres hoping you didn't notice I thought I was in the gs3 forum. Anyway with a few edits I think it makes sense.:stupid:

22. Rocco3366

Rocco3366 Newbie

Cheers will try that, how's s-voice I mean I was impressed with vlingo when I first used it xD is that eye tracker accurate?

23. Shotgun84

There's no sweeping that one under the carpet now, I thought I was in the gs3 forum. I tried to edit my post but you were too quick. I feel a feild day coming on:D

Yeah no complaints with s voice, it offers more functionality like controlling your camera by talking to it.

24. Shotgun84

Sorry forgot that bit, I was a bit embarrassed so rushed my reply:D The galaxy s3 smart stay was hit and miss to start with but it's got better with each firmware upgrade

Samsung Galaxy S2 Forum

The Samsung Galaxy S2 release date was April 2011. Features and Specs include a 4.3" inch screen, 8MP camera, 1GB RAM, Exynos 4210 Dual processor, and 1650mAh battery.

April 2011
Release Date
Reviews