• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Need Help! About to return Rooted Droid To Verizon

Oandroid

Aug 9, 2010
I have to return my rooted droid to the Verizon Store. I tried to install Clockwork and the phone remained frozen at the M-Logo screen. Right now, it will not turn on in any mode unless it's plug into the wall socket. Even then, only pressing the up on d-pad + power button works. It sends it to the boot screen, but says, "battery low, cannot boot." If I plug it in without pressing anything, then it stays stuck on the logo screen.

I called Verizon customer support, and I explained to them the phone's symptoms minus the rooting thing! Told the CS guy I thought it was the battery. He said I can return it, but if they find that the phone was physically tampered with (destructed or software tampered with), they will charge me the full price of the phone. So, are they going to find out when I take it to the Verizon Store, or when they ship it back to manufacturer?

If so, what should I do? I greatly appreciate ANY help.

I greatly appreciate your responses. I will read through that information this afternoon. Hopefully I can get it back and running again without having to exchange for a new phone tomorrow or Wednesday. I should have read up more on rooting, but I thought I had a solid understanding. Regardless of whether I fix the issue or not, I think I'm done with rooting.

Upvote 0
I greatly appreciate your responses. I will read through that information this afternoon. Hopefully I can get it back and running again without having to exchange for a new phone tomorrow or Wednesday. I should have read up more on rooting, but I thought I had a solid understanding. Regardless of whether I fix the issue or not, I think I'm done with rooting.

Dont give up on the Root. It really is easy after you load of few roms and such. Trust me your patience will be rewarded.

just leave it plugged in for a long time. and never load roms or anything like that with a low battery. Once you get some juice back you can pull battery and then hold X while powering up to get in your recovery to restore a backup.

Upvote 0
Dont give up on the Root. It really is easy after you load of few roms and such. Trust me your patience will be rewarded.

just leave it plugged in for a long time. and never load roms or anything like that with a low battery. Once you get some juice back you can pull battery and then hold X while powering up to get in your recovery to restore a backup.

That's what I was reading up on. Still don't know if it was the clockwork or low battery, as I remember being below 50% charged when I attempted it.

When I plug into wall charger, the light beside the usb connection on the phone does not illuminate; however, when I plug in cpu, it lights up. Don't know it that makes a difference.

Upvote 0
Charged it all night and still nothing. Same battery low cannot program. Tried RSD Lite, downloaded all the right files and followed the directions, but still nothing. I erased and formatted my droid's SD card, because it contained the rooted programs/files. Just going to take the phone back to VZW Store after work this evening. HOPEFULLY, I don't get a bill for the phone in the next month or so after Verizon 'inspects' it.

Upvote 0
Before you take it back to Verizon and almost definitely get charged the full price of the phone, you might want to try and fix it yourself. Verizon's just gonna take your phone, charge you $600, and give you a new one, and then fix your "broken" phone and sell it to someone as a refurb.

The Droid has KNOWN issues with charging on an empty battery. Many, many issues. I'm I'm completely certain that the phone is fine and this is an issue of the battery level not being able to get high enough to allow RSD Lite to flash the bootloader. Try charging it for a long time through the wall outlet. Sure, the wall outlet might not light up the charging light for you, but we know that the wall outlet provides 850mA to the phone while USB is limited to 500mA. So the wall outlet should charge it faster.

What's the most you could lose? Several hours where the Droid is plugged into the wall to no avail? Sounds like a good gamble to me to avoid paying $600 to replace your not-broken phone.

Upvote 0
Why don't you attempt a new battery at the verizon store and see if that brings your droid up and running?

I'm not going to pay 45 bucks for a battery through Verizon, (plus I have to drive 1 hr and 15 mins round trip cause local VZW Store does not have them in stock) when I can get one off Amazon or elsewhere for 10 bucks shipped. But yeah, I could order one and try that.

Upvote 0
Yeah, if the wall charge doesn't work you could try a new battery. Honestly, the problem lies with the Droid's charging circuitry. For some reason they designed it so that the phone won't turn on without the battery in, it won't charge the battery without the phone being on, and the phone turns off when the battery hits a preset level. Isn't that a smart combination?

So basically for the first 5% of charge or so the charging circuitry will be struggling to get enough charge into the battery so that the Droid can turn on fully, but it keeps draining itself down to 0% in the process of turning on, so random reboots aplenty for a bit. Once the battery has a tiny bit of charge in it, things should return back to normal, and this is why I recommend the wall charger, which charges at a faster rate (perhaps fast enough to overcome this whole issue I described above).

Trust me, we've had dozens of people come here with this issue, and the issue has always been resolved.

Reactions: Oandroid
Upvote 0
Yeah, if the wall charge doesn't work you could try a new battery. Honestly, the problem lies with the Droid's charging circuitry. For some reason they designed it so that the phone won't turn on without the battery in, it won't charge the battery without the phone being on, and the phone turns off when the battery hits a preset level. Isn't that a smart combination?

So basically for the first 5% of charge or so the charging circuitry will be struggling to get enough charge into the battery so that the Droid can turn on fully, but it keeps draining itself down to 0% in the process of turning on, so random reboots aplenty for a bit. Once the battery has a tiny bit of charge in it, things should return back to normal, and this is why I recommend the wall charger, which charges at a faster rate (perhaps fast enough to overcome this whole issue I described above).

Trust me, we've had dozens of people come here with this issue, and the issue has always been resolved.

just plugged it in now, so i will leave it till this evening

Upvote 0
I'm not going to pay 45 bucks for a battery through Verizon, (plus I have to drive 1 hr and 15 mins round trip cause local VZW Store does not have them in stock) when I can get one off Amazon or elsewhere for 10 bucks shipped. But yeah, I could order one and try that.

Call and ask if they have a spare battery so you can see if that is the problem with your droid?

Upvote 0

This is perhaps the biggest complaint I have about the Droid, is it's charging capabilities. It seems to charge about 33% of the time in the car or computer. Also using navigation drains it faster than it charges, which baffles me why it wouldn't bypass the battery altogether and go straight from the ac source.

Upvote 0
Upvote 0
Try pulling your battery, then plug your Droid to the wall or USB charge and see if it will boot up, if you can at least get into recovery, you should be ok, if you get into recovery, assuming that rsd didn't work, try doing a factory reset from recovery. It may wipe whatever messed your Droid up to start with.. if not, after you get it to boot into recovery and you wipe, unplug it, put your battery back in, and try to boot up or charge it.

Upvote 0
yes, yes they were.

Went ahead and ordered one and added 1-2 day(s) shipping. Came out to 11 bucks, which is much better than 40+ bucks Verizon was going to charge me. I'm not sure yet, but if this works out and I am able to unroot, I may return my droid for something else. I've been reading a lot these past couple days, and all these battery issues with droid are really frustrating. I have only had the phone for 5 days, so I could still exchange it for something else because I'm not satisfied.

Oh yeah, and I charged the battery via wall charger for over six hours, and nothing. I can't even get into bootloader much less recovery. :(

Upvote 0
Glad to see my post didn't fall on deaf ears.. I had a similar problem a long time ago, and what I said worked. Difference is, I had read alot about rooting, we didn't have rsd lite back then, and I had a Nandroid backup. All I had to do was pull battery, plug in charger while holding x, which booted me into recovery, wiped, and restored a previous backup. Rebooted, and my Droid was fine, charged and everything. Oh and just fyi, wiping your SD card did nothing to help you. It don't matter what you have on it, it's not gonna cause problems. In fact, all you did by wiping it was eliminate any kind of backup you may have had on it, assuming you had made one.

Upvote 0
Glad to see my post didn't fall on deaf ears.. I had a similar problem a long time ago, and what I said worked. Difference is, I had read alot about rooting, we didn't have rsd lite back then, and I had a Nandroid backup. All I had to do was pull battery, plug in charger while holding x, which booted me into recovery, wiped, and restored a previous backup. Rebooted, and my Droid was fine, charged and everything. Oh and just fyi, wiping your SD card did nothing to help you. It don't matter what you have on it, it's not gonna cause problems. In fact, all you did by wiping it was eliminate any kind of backup you may have had on it, assuming you had made one.

Truth.

Sounds like you had battery problems if it isn't charging separately from the Droid. At least you have time to get Droid 2 instead if you want.

CAUTION: all people wanting to root, do your research beforehand. When things mess up, don't try and fix it yourself unless you know what you're doing. Read up on it before continuing.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones