• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Need Help Buying a Used Phone...

mcbtrain929

Android Expert
Nov 5, 2009
So, whether it be on here or craigslist or ebay, how do i/can i assure that the phone is good and doesn't have a bad ESN? i'd hate to meet up with someone, give them cash, only to find out the phone is a dud. could i call a phone carrier and give them a serial number or something of the phone and they can check if its good or something?

For those sellers out there, I'm in the market for a used G2X or a used Galaxy S 4G for TMobile for my girlfriend at a decent price.

Thanks in advance!!

Im fairly sure that T-Mobile phones don't have ESN's they have IMEI's. I don't know if they can be blacklisted like ESN's for Verizon and Sprint can but as long as you have a SIM card, put it in and see if you can make calls before you buy it.

If the phone was reported stolen and the carrier had the imei on file they red flag it well atleast that's what att does. Cousin found this out when she bought a used phone i think off craigslist.

OP: My brother has tmobile ill see if he has any of his phones I thought he had a g2x but he might of gave it to his girlfriend.

Upvote 0
For those sellers out there, I'm in the market for a used G2X or a used Galaxy S 4G for TMobile for my girlfriend at a decent price.
You still interested in a Galaxy S 4G? I have one I bought on ebay which I had intended to use with T-Mobile's new Monthly 4G $30 100 Talk/Unli Txt/Unli Web plan. Unfortunately, T-Mo signal is really bad in my office (only get 2G/EDGE).

Selling for $250 shipped OBO. Will be posting a thread later when I get home after I take pictures.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones