1. Check out our companion app, Forums for Android! Download from Google Play

Support Need help choosing a midrange phone

Discussion in 'What Device Should I Buy?' started by ERROR134, Mar 7, 2016.

1. ERROR134

ERROR134 New Member

Mar 7, 2016
    Male
    Hello guys,

At first I want to appologise for I am not sure if this is the right forum, please move thred if not :)

I really need a new Phone in at most the next month or so. I had an android phone like 5 years ago and since then I had an iPhone and my current Lumia 520, so my Android (phone) knowledge is really outdated. I really like the Windows Phone OS, but on the other hand I extremly dislike the current Lumia Phones and my Lumia 520 is dying fast, so I decided to get back to Android.
    These are my requirements:
    - Screensize: from 4,5" to like 5"
    - battery: powerful enough for one day and I would really really like a removeable one
    - SD Card Slot
    - I would really love to have "real buttons" by which I mean everything except software buttons. I really don't even get why you should consider software buttons and I don't think they look good (never had them though..)
    -Camera: Should have one and that's like all I need regarding camera :D Just not too crappy pics, so better like the Lumia 520 cam would be nice, but that's all, I am not a photo guy
    - Dual-Sim,NFC: Never had those, so I couldn't care less and I am not gonna pay with my phone
    - Processor and RAM: good enough for my use case :)
    -price: should be a midrange phone, so I thought about like at most 300€ maybe?

Use case: Not a photo guy. Mailing, texting, social media. I would do some small work on it, so maybe some OneNote, really small Excel sheets, calendar stuff. As I am a developer I would maybe test some self written Apps on it.

I know ist is really hard to find a phone, that fits my needs, that's why I hope you guys can help me. I did some reasearch myself and found the asus ZenFone 2, but it has a big 5.5 screen, which I think is a bit too big for me(current phone has 4"). Also the Zenfone 2 with 2Gb fits all needs(real buttons, removeable battery,..) but it has that large screen :( . The OnePlus X has a 5" but a non-removeable battery and the battery is a bit smaller than other phones.

I am currently living in Germany, so the phone should be released here :)

I really do appreciate everyone who takes his time to guide me in the right direction :) Thanks in advance guys :)

EDIT: I also want to apologise, for maybe not finding all typos. One of my hands is currently in bandages and that makes writing hard :D

Advertisement

2. svim

svim Well-Known Member

Dec 19, 2013
    Illinois
    Maybe a refurbished Samsung Galaxy S5 will fit your requirements? The new S7 is over your price point, the S6 is something of an oddball as it doesn't have a removable battery nor microSD card slot but an older S5 still has decent hardware specs (quad core processor, 2 GB of RAM, 16 or 32 GB storage) and has a lot of the things you listed -- 5.1" screen, removable battery, microSD card slot, a physical Home button, and a decent camera.
    http://www.gsmarena.com/samsung_galaxy_s5-6033.php

3. ERROR134

ERROR134 New Member

Mar 7, 2016
    Male
    Thanks for your reply :)
    But sorry, I am not really into used phones, so it should be a factory new one. And from that perspektive a Samsung Phone is a bit too pricey. I often feel like Samsung wants some extra money for their name ;)

Is there maybe some other phone with my requirements? Like you said, a physical homebutton is good enough( the other ones can be software). I already thought about dropping one or both of the following: removeable battery, No software buttons. Do you think that would give me better choices?

4. svim

svim Well-Known Member

Dec 19, 2013
    Illinois
    The LG G4 is a nice alternative -- don't think it has a physical Home button but it does have a removable battery and a microSD card slot. Don't know if it's available in Germany though.
    http://www.gsmarena.com/lg_g4-6901.php

Don't want to oversell the refurbished aspect but with the trend for new phones to be sans removable batteries or microSD card slots, a used Galaxy S5 is well under your price point. Now that the S7 is coming out the older S-models are getting cheaper and cheaper.
    https://swappa.com/buy/devices/samsung?search=galaxy+s5&type=phone

5. jefboyardee

jefboyardee Well-Known Member

Jan 18, 2011
    svim likes this.