• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

need help? come here!(general questions)

boblo

Jan 16, 2011
HOW TO ROOT
....hm..... if you have 2.1 you can go root it with universal (i am not responsible for any damage to your phone..) androot which i used... but be aware of the NO FUUGU CURSE universalandroot ???? [ROOT] RegawMOD Hero Rooter another rooter, and one more is the z4root apk.z4root

INSTALLING CUSTOM ROMS

first download rom manager,and a rom.(PLZ CHECK IF IT IS FOR HTC HERO CDMA VERSION OR ELSE RISK BEING BRICKED) flash clockworkmod recovery.(CWM)
ok. now you want to do a nandroid backup before flashing a rom by going into recovery (home and pow button together) then go to nandroid,backup.(for if something goes wrong)
do a full wipe plz ladies and gentlemen! it means,
(from DonB)
CWM Recovery
Wipe data/Factory Reset
Wipe cache partition
Advance/Wipe Davlik cache
Partitions Menu/Format Boot
Partition Menu/Format System
Partition Menu/Format Data
Partition Menu/Format Cache

next go into install zip from sd card/select from sd card and select your rom,gapps,kernal,etc.

Finally, reboot your phone:D
[ROM][GPL] aospCMod | AOSP 2.3 *** (Gingerbread)(Gb Superhero rom)
[ROM][GPL][STABLE] aospMod v0.9.9.2 | AOSP 2.2.1 (Froyo) [12/10/2010](AOSP pretty nice try this before gb)[ROM] LiquidSense 2.1 Stable|PngOpt|ZipAlgn|Odex|No Bloat - xda ...(sense lovers)
CM7RC1DOWNLOAD
(cm7 its pretty fast also)
fresh2.4.0
its like liquidsense(idk what happened to color?)

Firerat Mod
Want more memory? Don't have a class 6 sd card to use apps2sd? Well then, use firerat mod!
1.)Download these files
RecoveryDownload
Boot put these files onto the root of sd card
2.) Make a txt file in your root of sd card and name it mtdpartmap.txt
3.) inside mtdpartmap.txt, start with 182 4 (and go down AFTER you do every step and, see how it does with your rom)(see if it doesnt bootloop)
4.) Boot into recovery(assuming you did a nandroid backup)
5.) go into mounts and storage and wipe data,cache,boot,and system.(Obviously do not wipe sd!)
6.) flash the recoverydownload file
7.) redo step 5 then go to advanced and reboot recovery
8.) Flash all of the roms,gapps,kernals,etc.
9.)DO NOT FORGET THIS STEP!!!!! FLASH THE BOOT FILE
10.)Thats it!
(when flashing a new rom just full wipe with step 5, then do step 8 and 9.)
*Just reflash the recovery to get rid of firerat mod:)

kernals

phone too slow even with rooting? STILL after a custom rom? then go ahead and try a custom kernal! (i know there are too much custom mods :D ) first go to one of my links and get a kernal(theres probobly only one link) i use deca's brainfuct which i noticed was a LOT better than decafuct(for me) so, here are the steps *no wipe necessary

(first get a 691(mhz) kernal then see if everythings ok, THEN get a 768 uncapped kernal if you want some speed)

1.) first put the kernal on the sd card.
2.) boot into recovery, then flash the kernal (wipe might be necessary if having problems... i dont know what to wipe so DonB, help would be appreciated.)
3.)you're done!
4.)enjoy your awesome, even horrifying speed!
links:
Download adnan@Decad3nce-DecaFuct #589 768mhz (uncapped 768 kernal decafuct)
Download adnan@Decad3nce-DecaFuct #589 691mhz(capped at 691 decafuct
Download adnan@Decad3nce-Brainfuct #16 768mhz(brainfuct uncapped 768)
Download adnan@Decad3nce-Brainfuct #15 691mhz(brainfuct capped 691)

GAPPS
psst. im telling you a secret! u dont have google apps? then download them!
gb:GB mpdi:mpdi

COLLIN BATTERY TWEAK
want better battery life??? try this tweak! first download it, download

STEPS:
1.) flash like any other rom
2.)reboot
3.) go to terminal emulator
4.) su(then) batt-cfg
5.) 5
6.) 9
7.)enjoy!!!!
it clocks your thing, and when your battery is lower, it uses more conservative settings(NOTE NEVER USE POWERSAVE UNLESS YOU WANT 200 MHZ LAG)*use smartass or interactive(never clock with setcpu) explanations

TO BE UPDATED(plz thank me if this helped)

I see whatr you're trying to do and it's a good idea, but you got your steps slightly confused when it comes to the Nandroid. You cannot click "Restore" unless you already have a Nandroid to restore. You actually want to use the "Backup" option or whatever the specific name is. Again, Restore is only for after you have made a Nandriod and are trying to restore it to your phone.

Upvote 0
Can someone translate this into English?

(Is this the mod that recovers a lot of unused memory from my phone?)

Quoting from OP on Firerat mod:

Want more memory? Don't have a class 6 sd card to use apps2sd? Well then, use firerat mod!
1.)Download these files
RecoveryDownload (downloaded it - how do I activate this on my phone after I move it to my sd card?)
Boot put these files onto the root of sd card (boot them when? first, before I flash a new rom? flash these files before I flash the recovery download above? can you be more clear about this?)
2.) Make a txt file in your root of sd card and name it mtdpartmap.txt
3.) inside mtdpartmap.txt, start with 182 4 (and go down AFTER you do every step and, see how it does with your rom)(see if it doesnt bootloop)
Start WHAT with 182 4? What does this even mean?

OP, I appreciate your attempt at condensing the many threads into a general help section, but the instructions are cryptic and sound like I need to be invited into a club with a secret handshake before anyone tells me what really happens or what to do. If you can explain further I would appreciate that.

Upvote 0
Can someone translate this into English?

(Is this the mod that recovers a lot of unused memory from my phone?)

Quoting from OP on Firerat mod:

Start WHAT with 182 4? What does this even mean?

OP, I appreciate your attempt at condensing the many threads into a general help section, but the instructions are cryptic and sound like I need to be invited into a club with a secret handshake before anyone tells me what really happens or what to do. If you can explain further I would appreciate that.

I believe the 182 represents the size of the system partition in megabytes. Essentially, with this mod, you are repartitioning the cache, data, and system partitions to free up space for your apps and data. I do not use this mod myself, but others swear by it. You can give it a try if you feel you are up to it.

I would read through the original FireRat Mod thread thoroughly to get an understanding of what is happening and how to do it correctly before taking the plunge: [MOD][RECOVERY] Firerat's Custom MTD Partitions (resize Data,System and Cache) - xda-developers .

Reactions: Hit Me
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones