• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

[Need Help]Confused with kernel and rooting stuff...

Okay, so currently my phone is unrooted, and I'm thinking of rooting it with Hellcat's Kernel because it seems better than CF-Root (at least that's what I think).

I kinda got the picture about how to install it (or rather, flash), but my problem is about choosing which kernel...

So... Hellcat mentioned this on his "How to Install":
"Download a build of my kernel that matches your FW/current kernel version und unpack the downloaded archive."

Honestly, I'm not sure what he meant by that. Is he referring to my Android version, or Kernel version? Because my kernel version doesn't seem to help me to choose which kernel I have to download... (my kernel version currently is 2.6.35.7-I9100TDUKH1-CL474234 root@DELL131 #2)

And he has several options that matches my Android version, but I don't know which one is for me...:
- v1.24 XWKE7 (2.3.3)
- v1.24 XWKF1 (2.3.3)
- v1.24 XWKF3 (2.3.3)
I can see those number corresponds to my Android version, but what is that Kernel version used for then?

Or should I just use CF-Root? But even then, I'm still confused because there's a lot of option and I still don't know which one is okay (I'm more concerned about bricking, really) for me...

So... How do I actually get my Android to version 2.3.5 (without OTA updates) anyway? Is it by flashing new kernels, or actually updating the firmware itself?

... Yes, I'm still learning and sorry for the long and confusing post :/

Thanks for the reply, but problem is, I'm in Australia and I'm not sure when will I get the firmware update to 2.3.5.... Unless there's a way to update it without via OTA?

Oh! I think I understand, how do I flash it though? Using Odin as well, I suppose?

Nevermind this red text.

This is weird, why is the file on md5 format...? Do I just use it?

Also, the one you suggested (which is XWKJ3) mentioned:
PDA:XWKJ3
PHONE: XXKI4
Date: 25/10/2011
Android 2.3.5

Does that mean I have to download XXKI4 and use it on PHONE section in Odin as well?

Upvote 0
This is weird, why is the file on md5 format...? Do I just use it?
Yes the md5 is just used to verify the data.

Also, the one you suggested (which is XWKJ3) mentioned:
Does that mean I have to download XXKI4 and use it on PHONE section in Odin as well?
No it means that the PHONE (modem) - XXKI4 is included.

Also make sure you are flashing the firmware not just the kernel. The firmware file should be arounud 275mb and usually comes as an exe file that you extract then flash with odin.

Reactions: dvdlesher
Upvote 0
Also make sure you are flashing the firmware not just the kernel. The firmware file should be arounud 275mb and usually comes as an exe file that you extract then flash with odin.

Thank goodness you mentioned this -_-" almost missed it...

Holy... Size is 400MB? Gotta wait for tomorrow then :/ but thanks so for the help good sir!

Upvote 0
Just mentioned it because a few people have made that mistake before :)

Okay, I'm confused again :/

So where am I supposed to use that huge file? Here's my configuration so far...
bwYMJ.jpg

Small note: I pressed the "Start" button before I connected my phone to PC, hence the reason why there are some text line in the "Message" section

By the way, I noticed that he edited his post recently, so what is that "Individual CSC Packages" stuff? (just under the XWKJ3 section)

Upvote 0
Upvote 0
I don't know how people manage to brick them permanently. Nothing is permanent! Worst case scenario is you have to buy a jig for like, $2: New Fix Download Mode USB Jig for Samsung Galaxy S II S2 D710 Epic 4G Touch | eBay

I bought one anyway so if I bricked it I wouldn't have to wait for one :p

Huh, a new stuff that I need to have! But is there some way to deal with this via computer (i.e. via USB)?

Also, is this working on 2.3.5? Because this one says it doesn't, and they look very similar...

Upvote 0
Just PM'd you back but thought I would post it in here as well.
The large file (firmware) and the smaller file (kernel) both go in the PDA section of odin. The kernel is included in the firmware so you only need to flash the larger file.
Flashing the kernel file is usually for when you have rooted and want to remove the yellow triangle (optional).

Upvote 0
Huh, a new stuff that I need to have! But is there some way to deal with this via computer (i.e. via USB)?

Also, is this working on 2.3.5? Because
this one says it doesn't, and they look very similar...

I haven't seen any software that uses a regular usb connection to your phone to force download mode. There's a bit of hard-modding involved in making a jig, so I imagine it's what you do there that forces download mode, not whatever software is on the thing.

As for 2.3.5, I'm still waiting on my jig, so I'll let you know.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones