1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Support Need help connecting SGT to computer

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by 5280Man, Jul 23, 2011.

1. 5280Man

5280Man Well-Known Member
    None

Aug 16, 2010
    I posted in another thread on here but I thought I'd make a thread to help find an answer to my problem.

I just picked up the SGT 10.1 32gb Wifi and I'm loving it! This thing is amazing. It has worked flawlessly out of the box and is buttery smooth. The screen and speed is excellent. However, I'm having one problem. I can't get it to sync to my computer. I am running Windows XP and have downloaded the driver off of samsung.com as well as Kies. When I connect the tab to the computer via usb the tab shows connected to Kies. On the computer if I open up 'My computer' it does NOT show up. If I open up Kies and then connect the tab it will show 'connecting' in the upper left hand coner of Kies on the computer. But it never stops showing 'connecting.' It just stays on that indefinitely. I am not able to transfer any info to the device due to it never fully connects. I have tried loading the driver off the website again. I was informed that if I download the driver off the website I can just drag and drop files onto the device. But I cannot. It never shows up in 'my computer.' Am I doing something wrong here?

Please, any help would be greatly appreciated. I love the tablet and would definitely recommend it. However, this connection problem is very frustrating. I'm not an Apple fanboy but after having issues like this I do see why people buy their products. I had to search and search to find out about Kies. Is Kies even for their line of tablets? There was no info in any of the documentation about having to download a driver for the computer to recognize the tab. Wouldn't the computer just see it as an external hard drive? My droid x is that way.

Again, any help would be much appreciated! Thank you!

Advertisement

2. Rumbum

Rumbum Newbie
    None

Jul 22, 2011
    Charleston, SC
    Make sure USB debuging is unchecked on your tablet.

3. 5280Man

None

Aug 16, 2010
    I have tried it wth debugging on and off.

4. 5280Man

None

Aug 16, 2010
    Well, I decided to head back to BB and see if they could get the tab to work with their computers and it did. Plugged it in and the computer at BB recognized it as an external hd. So it's just my pos computer with xp. Has anyone else gotten the new tab to work with xp?

5. mikeyd08

mikeyd08 Newbie
    None

I did. downloaded drivers from Samsung site. works great. have XP pro.

6. badankles

badankles Android Expert

Jul 19, 2010
    USA
    i didn't have to download anything or installed anything on pc prior to connecting the tab, but i am running windows 7 not xp. since i don't have xp it's very hard to know exactly where your problem lies (did you download the correct version for your model, did you installed it first, it could even be the usb port itself, etc.)

my recommendation is to uninstall the driver(s) and kies you manually downloaded. reboot. make sure you have internet connection. connect the tab to a usb port (pick one from the back). at this point, you should look for windows to try on its own to find/download the necessary drivers. wait until it is done and successful on its own. if yes, then you should be able to see the tab as external drive.

if not, then you can go the manually method, but there's no need to download Kies, just the drivers from here (pick the correct model): Samsung

download drivers and install first before connecting the tab. once successful, connect the tab to a usb port (pick one from the back). look for windows to match it up with the installed drivers. wait until it is done and successful. if yes, then you should be able to see the tab as external drive.

if not, then you have to explore other options or if maybe someone else can provide other help.

if you have wifi, then you can try a wifi app method. use the cloud like dropbox, etc. find a usb adapter and transfer that way. dare i say, upgrade to windows 7. (if you have the money for your droid x and now tab 32gb, spend a little more and upgrade your windows, it's easy and you'll love it.)

7. sdiddy

sdiddy Newbie
    None

Feb 13, 2010
    I have had same issue...on one laptop I was finally successful (old laptop running xp with USB 1.0) by downloading the OLDER version of kies...not the updated one. I will try this on my other old POS desktop tonight and see.