• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Need help deciding

Gareatron

Feb 9, 2011
Texas
I have a samsung intercept at the moment and just found out that this phone is for virgin mobile now. Is this phone any better then the intercept? It has lower hardware then the intercept. Has anyone out there have a problem with the optimus v with preformence or anything at all?

Good question. I am stepping up from the WORST PHONE EVER INVENTED--the LG Rumor Touch! But I did a bit of research before I chose the Optimus V over the Samsung. The main thing that did it for me was the software. The Optimus is the more current Android, and the price was cheaper.

The ONLY negative for me, 4 days in, is the low Battery life (less than a day), but after reading the forums here, I have optimized and added some apps that better manage that. I LOVE MY OPTIMUS V!

JUST FOUND THIS THREAD: http://androidforums.com/lg-optimus-v/267084-optimus-v-vs-vm-intercept.html

Upvote 0
I chose the Optimus V over the intercept even though Best Buy had the Intercept for $169...

Mainly because the newer Android OS and the Samsung just felt cheap! It feels like the slide out KB might break at any time. So I picked Optimus. Now, if VM had something like the LG Cosmos with Android...I might have been all over that! I do like a keyboard better than virtual keying.

Upvote 0
i chose Optimus V over the intercept too because of Android 2.2 and it was cheaper - i and i am so glad i did. although the physical slideout keyboard was tempting for me, the Optimus is so light with a small form factor. as mentioned above, battery life was the only initial downer, but after installing MySettings and ATK Froyo apps, i can customize and toggle on/off the power-sucking apps/connections and now it is comparable if not better than the iPhone 3G i used to have.

Upvote 0
Live wallpaper will always give some lag on all phones, but no matter how fast your phone Live Wallpaper will always drain your battery.

Unless you are on your home screen live wallpaper will not effect your phone really. The V has plenty of ram to spare and wallpaper is at rest when not at homescreen.

Get launcher pro and disable wallpaper scrolling that usually makes them all work well, not perfect mind you but pretty well. There is an awesome diving one "Water Free Live Wallpaper" that I just liked staring at for no reason at all. Drained my battery because I would just stare at the damn thing. So I disabled it.

Optimus V runs apps at stock speed amazingly fast vs my rooted OC 1ghz Moto Droid. Due to Optimus V's large amount of RAM. Really unheard of in a low end phone, also has a separate modem cpu. I am really happy with this phone, haven't felt the need to root it yet. The only think slower is the web browsing but switching to Opera Mini brings up all pages in 6 seconds flat.

I was driving around town using the GPS for a couple of seconds and then using the phone to stream music. With my old droid with 256 megs of RAM this would always cause fc due to running out of RAM. If I ever used the Navigation on my Droid I would generally need to reboot due to ram issues cropping up. It should be illegal to sell an android phone without 2.2 and 512 megs of ram. It really takes Android phones to the Next level.

I could have gotten another superphone but they are all generally the same as last year. Except for the Atrix and Att data pricing is obscene and their service is atrocious. I really think I will just keep this Optimus V for awhile. Even if Virgin comes out with a reported high end snapdragon phone I am extremely happy with my purchase.

Upvote 0
I tested the Intercept and the Optimus side-by-side for several weeks, and in most areas, the Intercept was well behind, particularly when multi-tasking such as playing music, using Nav and taking on the phone at the same time in the car. The Intercept just choked on that, the V doesn't. The V also has a separate 200mhz GPU, a newer design CPU, and the separate 400mhz modem. The Sprint site is a good barometer of the two phones when you look at customer feedback...the Optimus S is their top-rated non-Blackberry 3G phone, the Intercept is tied for last. Froyo will make the Intercept better, if and when its released, but it's never going to catch up to the Optimus in most ways. Much as I wish that were not the case...I still miss the physical keyboard, but I'm learning to use as much Voice Control as possible to make up for it.

Reactions: blmbmj
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones