• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Need help fast

Twincam

Jul 7, 2010
Hi, on rooting my phone orange branded and im very stuck, im following the newbies guide on xda forums, and im stuck on this bit
Open the file manager and find the FlashRec apk file and click it and choose open app manager and then install it.

I open the file manager, and go to the flashrec apk file but there is no option or whatever to open app manager and install it, im not sure what it means???.

other than that i understand the whole process

Not sure what you mean?, if you mean there, if i hold down on the folder it gives me options but not to open, and if i open the folder it just gives me androidmanifest, assets classes, desktop, meta inf, res, resources.

Looking around the net people have said its something to do with the file names and it being named as a zip instead of a apk, or something like that tried to change the name of the file on the pc but its still comming through as a zip. I really am struggling with this one, and im sure im not stupid lol.

Anymore help please?.

Upvote 0
That might be the problem yeah. Changing the name of the file on the pc is possible, but you need to make sure your PC is showing the file name. By default windows will cut off the file extension, so 'flashrec.apk.zip' would be showing as 'flashrec.apk'. If you didn't know windows does that then it's easy to get confused over.

Try this in stead: Put the file on the SDcard, then find it in Astro (or your file manager of choice). Then you want to find the option to rename the file, which can be done in Astro by long pressing, then picking 'Edit' then 'Rename'. If the file really is named 'flashrec.apk.zip' then this will be visible in the file manager.

Remove the .zip and then try to open the file. You should get the option to open it using the Package Manager (or something to that effect).

Reactions: Twincam
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones