• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Need help first time with KODI TV BOX

Hi guys and thanks in advance for any help or suggestions forth coming. Right I got talked into buying one of these Android TV Box's from the lads at work. It wasn't an expensive model so I expected there to be some issues.
It is a OTT Quad Core MXQ. I switched it on and set it up on my tv to my wifi and that was about the last thing that went smoothly.
Right away the little circle in the bottom right corner that came on saying updating add on's came up with two or three that gave some error msg.
I launched KODI and when I went into app as soon as I tried to look for any movie or tv show,, all I would get is a blank list?
I then tried a few of the other add on in the short cut tabs below in the main menu,, and all I got was another fail or fault msg which tells me to look in the log ( wherever that is)
Even showbox wont open

The browser works so it is connected but apart from one kids show in the Disney app nothing seems to open/work.

This box was supposed to come fully loaded but I have no idea if its on the right or current version or something? I went into settings and tried to check for updates and got some fail msg with that too lol.
The version was KODI 4.4 I think,,, has a blue home screen.

A friend has suggested googling some beast update which I will look into ,,not sure what to do as I am totally new to android ,,

Cheers for reading

Reactions: sweetndreemy73
Hi guys and thanks in advance for any help or suggestions forth coming. Right I got talked into buying one of these Android TV Box's from the lads at work. It wasn't an expensive model so I expected there to be some issues.
It is a OTT Quad Core MXQ. I switched it on and set it up on my tv to my wifi and that was about the last thing that went smoothly.
Right away the little circle in the bottom right corner that came on saying updating add on's came up with two or three that gave some error msg.
I launched KODI and when I went into app as soon as I tried to look for any movie or tv show,, all I would get is a blank list?
I then tried a few of the other add on in the short cut tabs below in the main menu,, and all I got was another fail or fault msg which tells me to look in the log ( wherever that is)
Even showbox wont open

The browser works so it is connected but apart from one kids show in the Disney app nothing seems to open/work.

This box was supposed to come fully loaded but I have no idea if its on the right or current version or something? I went into settings and tried to check for updates and got some fail msg with that too lol.

A friend has suggested googling some beast update which I will look into ,,not sure what to do as I am totally new to android ,,

Cheers for reading

?
Check your internet connection. Even if your on Wifi you may have UPNP disabled or some other feature in your router. Try with ethernet and go to settings then switch to Ethernet. I am new to the android devices BUT everytime I experienced this it was an intenet issue.
One question, are people removing there sources? Without the sources intact issue could arrise with updates etc. I jsut got the M8S quad core CPU and octo core GPU and my Zbox Dual Core Atom Processor blows it away. I understand the specs are hardly comparable being these Android devices are similar to smartphone and tablet components but I seriously was expecting some kind of improvement.

FYI I am just getting into to Demoing these devices and so far the M8S has been a headache. Before I blow the seller and company up in forums I am going to give them a chance to correct or at least accommodate me with something which I am betting will get me no where but I have Kodi on about 25 devices for friends family etc and this device "as of now I would not recommend it to anyone. I will be back with a update in the future but you really to know what you're looking at and consider how tech savvy you are. I have rebuilt and fixed different models that customers had purchased but I wanted to get one that was a little more powerful hence a little more future proof. The Ad on AMazon said it runs 15.2. While I dont like a few of the source changes in 15.2 that were in 15.1 I figured I would be able to play with it a bit. I found mine came with 14.2 rc1 (release Candidate). I mean seriously? Who includes rcs or betas? and furthermore lists the current stable version will be installed. While trying to update it all updates fail so I assume they have signed the release. I have my own Custom Build which includes my own scripts that make a great difference. ALso those listing on Ebay that they have version 16.0 is someting you should stay away from. Unless a stab;e version just got released in the last 3 days v16 is still in Alpha (pre beat mode meaning you are guarenteed to find bugs that will need to be worked out and likely ruin your experience with a great program/system.
However I am now trying to figure out creating a nand backup, before I start delving into it. I have been working with Android Phones for over 7 years now: rooting, Custom Roms, Modified apks etc but I cant find any info on my device (M8S). Can any provide links to some firmware or directions to start getting me underway. I am going to continue searching but any help or pointers are greatly appreciated.

If anyone if considering purchasing a device and would like an opinion let me knoe and I would be glad to help.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Cheers mate,,, managed to get most of it sorted. Turned out the main issue wasn't the box but rather my ISP. Unbeknown to me the BT Router has some things set up default that blocked most of what the box does. However after finding this out it was fairly simple to go in and turn it off,, think it was called smart set up, (not so smart imo).

I also installed the beast build through areswizard and things are now a lot easier to find. I still have some issues with some US sites such as icefilms and the onechannel. I think they are blocked but the URL fix add on in beast sometimes gets me back in them for a little while. I think a VPN would be a much better way tho if I can find one (preferably free) that is suited to KODI.

Kind of enjoying figuring it all out now and getting into it,,,, it has even kept me off star wars battle front and FIFA for a week lol.

Reactions: Deleted User
Upvote 0
Even showbox wont open

Cheers for reading

Whenever I try to stream content on kodi, I also get errors and message to check the log. Did you ever figure out where to find the log??

Upvote 0
Whenever I try to stream content on kodi, I also get errors and message to check the log. Did you ever figure out where to find the log??
This is what you need to do completely Uninstall Kodi afterwards make sure you clear the data. Don't worry about the add ons (Exodus, Phoenix)they all can be reinstalled for free Go to the wifi app portion of your box and choose security make sure you allow 3rd party to access so you can reinstall kodi and this will also allow the addons to work and function correctly. Go to XBMC kodi download page and go to the 16.1 section choose android ARM and click to down the program If you need additional help with the installing addons please let me know! Hope that helps!

Upvote 0
Go to XBMC kodi download page and go to the 16.1 section choose android ARM...

His box is an OTT Quad Core MXQ which by default comes delivered running on Dalvik.

Switching from the Dalvik runtimes to the ARM runtimes permanently bricked my box and it had to be replaced.

Are you sure that the ARM version of Kodi that you are recommending will work on his box?

Upvote 0
His box is an OTT Quad Core MXQ which by default comes delivered running on Dalvik.

Switching from the Dalvik runtimes to the ARM runtimes permanently bricked my box and it had to be replaced.

Are you sure that the ARM version of Kodi that you are recommending will work on his box?
YES it should unless there are other problems that I don't know about your box!

Upvote 0
Thank you all brothers and Mr. Andrew Cole for help-I installed superRepo but getting following code. ((I got new M96X-AMLOGIC S905X-upgraded-A53. ANDROID 6.0 -Kodi16.1)).
I am a newbie.I am constantly getting code ""unfortunatly Kodi has stopped working."".When I click OK, Kodi goes off and I have to go back to click KODI . I did activate Debuggig log " in my Android box M96X ,Kodi 16.1 but then I get a lot of codes running on top-middle of screen and can not see any program on tv screen.Similarly,each time I put KODI On, I see "downloading channels"" each time,which is annoying and time wasting.
Kindly help me to get rid of these crazy problem,please

Upvote 0
Did you install Kodi or did it come pre-installed when you bought the box?
Good Morning.Thank you for timely reply.Yes it came preinstalled Kodi 16.1.But being a newbie I loaded a lot of apk etc etc and Kodi seems slowing down.So I uninstalled Kodi 16 and installed Kodi 17 from Google play but was Kodi 17 was beyonf my understanding to setting up.Downloaded apk ,Kodi 16.1 , Android Arm from XBMC kodi download page .This time installed only Fusion then super repo but getting message""unfortunately kodi stopp working"".Other non-Kodi stuff in this receiver is working great.

Upvote 0
I acted upon your suggestion.Uninstalled Kodi 16.1. Then download Kodi 16.1 and installed again but getting, ""Unfortunately, Kodi has stopped" message
My android box (bought 3 weeks ag-MBOX-M96X-AMLOGIC S905X-upgraded-A53. ANDROID 6.0 -Model M96X- 64Bit) came preinstalled with Kodi 16.1 .
Other non-Kodi items are working great without any problems.

Upvote 0
It seems that this version (16.1 Jarvis) doesn't like your new box. :(
Maybe it's time to try a newer 'beta' version 17 or an older version, 15.1.Download the APK and sideload it after you completely uninstall the current version.
Thank you Mr. Andrew Cole.
As you told earlier ,I googled and solved the problem as follows.
Go to System-Setting-Video-Accelration- Check off Amcodec option. Restart Kodi 2 times and checked if AMCODEC is off.
Now I am not receiving message""unfortunately Kodi stopped working""

Reactions: Andrew Cole
Upvote 0
Hi guys. New member here. Already the above threads have helped answer a question I've had and confirmed a possible solution to an issue I've had with Kodi on my new TV Box. Thank you all. I will apply the suggestions made.

My question: I have recently acquired my first android TV Box. It is the Amlogic H96 S912 with a quad core processor and 2Gb RAM. It runs on Android 5.1. Is there any way i can upgrade this to 6?

Thanx in advance for any and assistance
B

Upvote 0
I have recently acquired my first android TV Box. It is the Amlogic H96 S912 with a quad core processor and 2Gb RAM. It runs on Android 5.1. Is there any way i can upgrade this to 6?

Unless the manufacturer has released the upgrade, it's highly unlikely. Android has to be made specifically for the device it's being installed on. These boxes are ten a penny and the likelihood of finding a developer who's made a recovery and developed a ROM for them is pretty small.

There may be a 6.0 upgrade out there, but it might be best if you don't hold your breath, sorry.

Upvote 0
thanx for the quick reply. I do appreciate it.
I'm having some issues with apps like google play store and youtube that came pre-installed & the hope was that a ROM would fix this.
Speaking of....I've found a site punting an img file that allows for upgrade (see attached screengrab) but with no howto instructions (i assume they assume i know what I'm doing). any opinions?

Attachments

• H96 Android6.JPG
    H96 Android6.JPG
    80.2 KB · Views: 352
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones