1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Root Need help flashing recovery!

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by lilbballer27, Feb 11, 2011.

1. lilbballer27

lilbballer27 Android Enthusiast

Ive flashed recovery many times in clockwork mod and everytime I try booting into recovery mode it just boot loops. What am I doing wrong?

Advertisement

2. teddyearp

teddyearp Android Expert

Are you working on the Droid X?

3. lilbballer27

No moto droid I returned my x. Just didnt change that

4. teddyearp

teddyearp Android Expert

5. lilbballer27

Thanks Im going to try that now! I see that you recommend using adb shell I do not know how to use that so would terminal emulator work just as well?

6. lilbballer27

WHen i get to the 3rd step:

1. su
    2. mount -o remount,rw -t yaffs2 /dev/block/mtdblock4 /system
    3. mv /sdcard/flash_image /system/xbin
    On terminal emulator it tells me failed on '/sdcard/flash_image' - cross-device link.

What does this mean? Please help!

Thank You

7. teddyearp

teddyearp Android Expert

Well, I don't know what that error means, but make sure you have the /system/xbin folder on your phone by doing this:
    Code (Text):
    1. cd /system
    2. ls
    Then if it is there, go ahead and do this:
    Code (Text):
    1. cd /system/xbin
    2. ls
    and see if the flash_image file is shown. If it is, you should be good to continue.

good luck

p.s. it shouldn't matter that you're using terminal emulator.

8. lilbballer27

When I do the second one with system/xbin it says it cannot cd system/xbin. I dont think I have that xbin file or whatever. Is this possible?

9. teddyearp

teddyearp Android Expert

Ah, well there it is, the problem. Sorry about that, my guide has (*had) an assumption that you used my rooting 2.0.1 and busybox install guide as well.

Anyways, I've fixed it now, the missing link is after step 2, insert this new step three:
    Code (Text):
    1. mkdir /system/xbin
    thereby moving all the other steps down a notch. Hope this makes sense, if not, go back to the guide and see the whole thing as edited.

good luck

10. lilbballer27

Followed the new guide but your prob sick of me lol after that new step you added I get this error:

mkdir failed for /system/xbin, read only file system.

So do you think I should just try and re root with that rooting 2.01 and busy box? or what because the reason I want flash so bad is because all of the new gingerbread roms that are coming out!

11. teddyearp

teddyearp Android Expert

No, do not use that 2.0.1 rooting guide, it is archived, and that is why the link will take you there, but you won't find it on my main page.

The reason you got the "read only file system" error is you failed to do this command:

Code (Text):
    1. [FONT=Comic Sans MS]mount -o remount,rw -t yaffs2 /dev/block/mtdblock4 /system[/FONT]
    which is step two. I suggest you slow down, print out the guide and carefully check off each step as you go. It's really not that hard if followed carefully step by step.

12. lilbballer27

I honest to god 100% followed your steps perfectly. I will keep retrying them.

13. teddyearp

teddyearp Android Expert

Let me know how it goes, then.

14. lilbballer27

Keep getting same error. I dont think I meant to have gingerbread on my phone lol