1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Support Need help: getting started with NFC

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by temporary101, May 3, 2012.

1. temporary101

temporary101 Newbie
    None

Jun 11, 2011
    Student
    Netherlands
    Hi, so seeing as I posted this here, you know I own a Galaxy nexus.
    Great phone, really amazing!

I heard about people using NFC tags to start their wifi, set the sound level, etc. Basically they used it to activate the apps and settings they needed for in the car, or for at work or at home...and various other things.

Reading all that, the inner geek inside me, wanted to try this out too. But being the noob that I am, I need help.

First off, where can I get these NFC tags (I live in the Netherlands, Europe)
    Second, are there requirements for these tags, or do all tags work with the galaxy Nexus?
    Third, I have looked around and found there are different kinds of nfc tags, different kind of kb versions or something...what is the difference between those?
    Fourth, is it possible to order just a few (5 at max) since I just want to play around with them, not employ them full-time (well not at first at least :D)?
    Fifth, do I need to do something on my phone before it can read/write them, like rooting it or downloading a specific app?
    sixth, that was it really, thanks for reading all the way here :D

So if anyone can help me with this, I would be very grateful.
    Even if you don't know the answers to my questions feel free to share your experiences with NFC tags, if you use them yourself. I am especially interested in learning of new and unique uses for these tags.

Again, thanks in advance for your time!

Advertisement

2. chimphappyhour

chimphappyhour Android Enthusiast
    None

Jun 5, 2010
    KCMO
  3. temporary101

temporary101 Newbie
    None

Jun 11, 2011
    Student
    Netherlands
    Thanks, but I still have questions. What does the encoding mean? What is blank enciding, ndef formatting, tagstand manager. And what is the difference between all those different kind of nfc tags? Do they all work with the gnex?

Tags: