• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Need help installing a bigger card post root

pasternak

Lurker
Aug 16, 2011
Noob here. I rooted an evo 4g running gb with an overstuffed 8gb mini sd card. I accomplished s-off. And after cramming a nandroid backup into my existing 8gb card it occurred to me that I probably don't have room left to flash rom. So I bought a 16gb card. Now I am wondering what to do next. Can I just copy the contents of my smaller card to the bigger card and fly? Do I need to make a gold card (I've seen references to this but can't find instructions for making one). What...? I am lost.

Morgan

Noob here. I rooted an evo 4g running gb with an overstuffed 8gb mini sd card. I accomplished s-off. And after cramming a nandroid backup into my existing 8gb card it occurred to me that I probably don't have room left to flash rom. So I bought a 16gb card. Now I am wondering what to do next. Can I just copy the contents of my smaller card to the bigger card and fly? Do I need to make a gold card (I've seen references to this but can't find instructions for making one). What...? I am lost.

Morgan

You can copy it. Should keep everything intact. Never heard of a gold card... weird.

Also, good luck. The sd cards are wedged so far in there... damn near impossible to get out. I tried once, gave up ten minutes later lol.

Reactions: pasternak
Upvote 0
You can copy it. Should keep everything intact. Never heard of a gold card... weird.

Also, good luck. The sd cards are wedged so far in there... damn near impossible to get out. I tried once, gave up ten minutes later lol.

a gold card is used to root certain phones, but not the evo. i use tweezers to get mine out. and as far as your new card it is pretty easy to do. just copy your content of the 8g to the computer take the 8g out and insert the 16g card into your phone. and copy the content back over to the 16g card. easy peasy.

Reactions: pasternak
Upvote 0
Off topic: I wanted to do more than just punch the <thank you> button and go. I want add instead that I think this forum is host to the greatest bunch of people on the planet. Wish the rest of my relationships in life were this sweet. I am going to suggest that we replace congress with "evo 4g - All Things Root" when the revolution is over.

Upvote 0
Okay, I gotta question. How do I partition my SD card and what is the reason for it?

Here is the procedure from XDA...all thanks to ocn he gave it to me and made a thread about it in this forum:

To Partition SD card and Flash KINGDOM Guide :D - xda-developers

As for what it does, some of the ROMs out there like Synergy and I think Kings use up a lot of memory so instead of using up most of the internal memory on the phone you can partition your card so that it will flash the Rom there instead. This will allow the phone to still run fast without being bogged down by low memory.

FYI if you run any of the Mik Roms (MikFroyo, Mikg or Mik3d Beta 1) you dont need to partition you will have plenty of available memory. Good luck man! :)

Upvote 0
Here is the procedure from XDA...all thanks to ocn he gave it to me and made a thread about it in this forum:

To Partition SD card and Flash KINGDOM Guide :D - xda-developers

As for what it does, some of the ROMs out there like Synergy and I think Kings use up a lot of memory so instead of using up most of the internal memory on the phone you can partition your card so that it will flash the Rom there instead. This will allow the phone to still run fast without being bogged down by low memory.

FYI if you run any of the Mik Roms (MikFroyo, Mikg or Mik3d Beta 1) you dont need to partition you will have plenty of available memory. Good luck man! :)

Thanks a ton again. You guys are really a great help in answering questions. Thanks again!!!!! :p

Reactions: ocnbrze
Upvote 0
a gold card is used to root certain phones, but not the evo. i use tweezers to get mine out. and as far as your new card it is pretty easy to do. just copy your content of the 8g to the computer take the 8g out and insert the 16g card into your phone. and copy the content back over to the 16g card. easy peasy.

Lol, tweezers... should have thought of that.

And this is one of the best forums online for sure. I haven't been to a better one. People don't get bashed for not reading a sticky, or not using the search button, or a lot of things. I wonder if it is AndroidForums in general of the Evo Root section in particular...

Upvote 0
Lol, tweezers... should have thought of that.

And this is one of the best forums online for sure. I haven't been to a better one. People don't get bashed for not reading a sticky, or not using the search button, or a lot of things. I wonder if it is AndroidForums in general of the Evo Root section in particular...

As far as I can tell it's forum wide. I started out with a Hero, and those folks over there were were top notch as well. AndyGU3 one of our guides was over there with me, he helped me root the first time. Yinz see what he's like here! :)
Absolutely the best forum hands down! :p

Upvote 0
As far as I can tell it's forum wide. I started out with a Hero, and those folks over there were were top notch as well. AndyGU3 one of our guides was over there with me, he helped me root the first time. Yinz see what he's like here! :)
Absolutely the best forum hands down! :p

I have to chime in to agree, everyone here is so helpful and nice, and have been great in teaching me so much, I'm extremely grateful. And here I never have to worry about being treated like an idiot if I missed something in a search for answers (unlike some other forums). :)

Upvote 0
can you just insert the new blank 16gb sd card into the phone,
then insert the orig. 8gb sd card into the adaptor and slot on the computer, then connect the phone to the computer;
select "my computer" and choose the adapter location,
open it up and highlight all the files,
then choose copy files, and send to the phone?

Upvote 0
can you just insert the new blank 16gb sd card into the phone,
then insert the orig. 8gb sd card into the adaptor and slot on the computer, then connect the phone to the computer;
select "my computer" and choose the adapter location,
open it up and highlight all the files,
then choose copy files, and send to the phone?

you know that is a great question. never done that but in theory that should work.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones