1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Need help locating current software for stock Desire.

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by Hiryosuke, Aug 8, 2012.

1. Hiryosuke

Hiryosuke Newbie

My desire isn't runnin basebands or software builds I've seen on here and I was hoping someone could help me locate those...also I would greatly appreciate being pointed in the direction of the most recent root and rom flashing guide for this phone...I'm not being lazy this phone is old and there are a ton of old forums on it and I don't see any one singular method repeated so googling this has jus caused more confusion. I thank any and everyone who took the time to read this and any help would be greatly appreciated. :)

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. Hadron

Hadron Smoke me a kipper...
    VIP Member

Hi Hiryosuke, and welcome to AF :)

Can you tell us a little bit more about your phone, such as what software build & baseband it is running? Also is it network branded, where you bought it, whether it is GSM or CDMA (i.e. does it have a SIM card). All of these things will help us identify the right software for your handset.

The guides here are linked in the sticky post "All Things Root Guide". There are two methods of rooting recommended for this phone, Unrevoked (which works with older software) and Revolutionary (which works with newer versions - though the commonest versions can actually use either). There are guides to using both here, and both should be up to date - unlike many you find on the web we do try to maintain them here, rather than write once and forget (video guides are particularly bad for that in my opinion).

Once rooted, the "rooting faq" (linked in the same place) contains a basic guide to flashing a custom ROM. Some ROMs have particular requirements though, e.g. partitions on the SD card, so you should always read the first couple of posts of the thread describing the ROM (usually at XDA-developers) before flashing, and if there is something you don't understand ask before proceding.

There's no rush in this stuff - I think there's no harm in taking it step by step.

3. Hadron

VIP Member

OK, I found your software information in your Introductions post:

Baseband: 2.15.03.12.13
    Kernel: 2.6.32-g08a5f5b
    Build number: 2.14.557.6 CL347163
    Software number:2.14.557.6 710RD

Yup, I'm unfamiliar with these as well! But from the format of the baseband version I reckon you probably have a CDMA handset (no SIM card, right?). What network are you with?

In fact if that's a CDMA baseband I reckon it's a fairly recent one (by Desire standards!). That's good, because it's hard to find these things anyway.

The bad news is that a CDMA handset has a much smaller selection of ROMs to work with than GSM. And you must not flash GSM firmware onto a CDMA phone, so check before flashing a ROM that it is intended for CDMA (if it doesn't say, it probably isn't), and do not attempt to flash a hboot or radio (baseband), because they almost certainly aren't for CDMA and could kill the phone completely.

If you tell us your hboot version we can at least identify the right rooting tool. Boot the phone while pressing the "volume down" key and tell us what it says on the white screen that comes up.

Hiryosuke likes this.
  4. Hiryosuke

Hiryosuke Newbie

1.09.0000 thanks for the help. The carrier is Carolina West...a small local place with a $40 a month unlimited plan.

5. Hadron

VIP Member

1.09? Have you used the HTC bootloader unlock? Can you tell us everything it says at the top of your hboot screen?

I don't believe that any of our usual tools will work with that hboot version - I'm sure Unrevoked won't, and it's not listed as being supported by Revolutionary either.

I believe that with the official unlocked bootloader you can fastboot flash a custom recovery, in which case it will be possible to root or flash ROMs, but will wait for confirmation of your hboot information before saying more. We generally recommend using community rooting tools rather than the HTCdev version, as they give more flexibility, so if this is what I think then it's slightly unfamiliar territory here. But one feature of the HTCdev unlock is that it installs a hboot which stops the community tools working, so if that is what you have we'll have to work with it.

6. Hiryosuke

Hiryosuke Newbie

the only other data i have is this
    Radio: 2.15.03.12.13
    Bravoc Dvt2 Ship S-on

7. Hiryosuke

Hiryosuke Newbie

also this
    MICROP-051e

8. Hiryosuke

Hiryosuke Newbie

and I haven't done anything to the phone yet...doin extensive research like i Did for my fascinate (which was a much easier process by far from what I'm seein for this phone)

9. Hadron

VIP Member

Actually the Desire is pretty easy. The problem here is that I fear you have a software version that isn't supported by our usual tools.

It's definitely CDMA. It doesn't say "locked" at the top of the hboot screen? The only place I came across hboot 1.09 is in discussion of the HTC bootloader unlocking, which is why I ask.

I can see 2 options here. The best is if community tools can work, but your hboot version is not listed as being supported. You could contact the revolutionary team and ask them about it.

If all else fails you could consider the official bootloader unlock from HTCdev and see what can be done using that. It's more limited and there's no way back to using other solutions, so I've never suggested that before, hence the "if all else fails".

Hiryosuke likes this.
  10. Hiryosuke

Hiryosuke Newbie

oops i forgot to mention that. it does say locked. where can i contact the revolutionary team?

11. Hadron

VIP Member

I expect their contact details are on revolutionary.io somewhere.

How long have you had the phone, and did you get it new or second hand? I'm just curious because the word "locked" sounds like it has the unlockable bootloader installed, so if you didn't do that it must have come that way. In which case if you unlock it (the procedure is on HTCdev.com, and you don't need to install the RUU so skip past that part) I think you can root that way. It's not what we recommend, because it's a less complete solution that Revolutionary gives you and HTC can tell that you did it (giving them the option of refusing a warranty claim, whereas you can undo the Revolutionary method completely), but it should work.

They key is that the "official" bootloader unlock will allow you to flash a custom recovery (which is one of the stages in the revolutionary guide after achieving S-Off using revolutionary). Once you have a custom recovery you can take a full system backup, and you can flash a small patch to root your ROM or else flash a custom ROM. So while it lacks the flexibility of full S-Off I think it will let you do what you want. Hence if, as I'm 99.5% sure, revolutionary can't work with that hboot I think we still have a way forward.

Hiryosuke likes this.
  12. Hiryosuke

Hiryosuke Newbie

I've had the phone maybe 2 weeks? i bought it new (although i suspect its a reconditioned phone) from bark which is a prepaid service so there's no insurance on it anyway...

13. Hiryosuke

Hiryosuke Newbie

I did have to do a software update on the phone so perhaps a factory reset will put me on moreregularly known software?

14. Hadron

VIP Member

Factory reset only wipes apps and data - it does nothing else.

15. Hiryosuke

Hiryosuke Newbie

Oh ok...so I guess I jus find a forum on here describing how to do this using htc's unlocking tools then correct? As for goin back to its original state I'm not too concerned about it seein as this phone is jus a stop gap til I get the money for a more current phone.

16. Hiryosuke

Hiryosuke Newbie

I checked the revolutionary page and apparently this bootloader is in the list of supported devices however its not in the list beside my phone but a few other htc phones.

17. Hadron

VIP Member

From browsing threads for other HTC devices (though the official bootloader unlock is generally not the best solution) and reading documentation on HTCdev my understanding is that with the official unlock you'll be able to fastboot flash a custom recovery, which means that rooting is possible.

If you read the guide to rooting with Revolutionary in this forum (linked in the All Things Root Guide sticky post) you'll see that the procedure there is:

* the first few stages are about setting up software on your computer
    * then you use Revolutionary to gain S-Off
    * then you flash a custom recovery
    * then you use the custom recovery to flash a patch to your ROM which roots it

Now I think it very unlikely that you can use revolutionary with that hboot. But if the official bootloader unlock lets you flash a custom recovery, then you do that instead of the revolutionary stage, and the later bits (which actually let you root/flash ROMs) are the same as in that guide.

As for the actual bootloader unlock, bear in mind that I've not done this. I've followed the steps on HTCdev as far as it would let me though.

* Log in to HTCdev.com (you have to register to get to the bootloader unlock instructions)
    * It will tell you to download a software update and apply it. I'd skip past that bit, because I think you already have the right software, and if you apply their update it will wipe the phone.
    * It tells you how to set up fastboot and adb on your PC (instructions for this are also in the Revolutionary guide here)
    * It tells you to use fastboot to get some information, which it then asks you to submit before you can go any further. So this is as far as I've been able to follow it.
    * The next steps will involve using this information to unlock the bootloader.
    * Once you've done that you can flash recovery and root as described in the revolutionary guide.

Now a warning: reading instructions for this for a couple of devices, it seems that the HTC bootloader unlock will wipe the device anyway. So you want to back up whatever information you can before doing this. This is, unfortunately, another way in which HTCdev is inferior to community tools (so may be worth asking revolutionary anyway, though I think I know the answer).

There's a guide to doing this for a different device here. Note however that as it is a different device you shouldn't download software from that guide, just use it as a description of the general procedure.

If at all unsure, ask before proceding. If I'm not around, Scotty who wrote the guide I just linked is a HTC device expert.

18. SUroot

SUroot Extreme Android User

Certainly on the one x, unlocking the bootloader has allowed fastboot flash of recovery. In desire threads I vaguely remember we couldn't fastboot flash things. Though maybe that was custom hboots.

Custom hboots very important on the desire too. Certainly for the desire, unofficial ways are best

Hiryosuke likes this.
  19. Hiryosuke

Hiryosuke Newbie

Ok thanks for your help guys...I'll contact revolutionary first becuz I read that the htcdev way leaves that "watermark" on the phonewhich im hoping to avoid...I'd also like to use the community tools over the HTC stuff either way. Ill try asking on xda as well and leave the HTC tool as a last resort.

20. Hiryosuke

Hiryosuke Newbie

Hi guys! I contacted the revolutionary team and they suggested I downgrade my hboot. I'll set about doing so asap. I just wanted to pop in here and thank everyone for their help!!! I'll certainly be returning if I have any other questions...although I'll more than likely be searching for ics roms for my desire. ; ) Thanks again!!!

21. Hadron

VIP Member

Remember that your phone is CDMA, so make sure you don't apply a GSM hboot (which most downgrading threads will do if followed blindly).

scotty85 and Hiryosuke like this.
  22. Hiryosuke

Hiryosuke Newbie

I haven't had time to do anything yet but I'm glad I stopped by before I got started. Thanks again!!!

23. scotty85

scotty85 Extreme Android User

i cannot find ANY RUUs for any builds for .557 ... wich will be the biggest issue for your downgrade :eek:

bravo_c ruus seem to be pretty scarce,so id make sure you find at least a generic WWE RUU to upgrade to so that you are not stuck on old firmware.

hardon,are you familiar with this device? can we:
    -unlock with htcdev
    -flash recovery
    -flash root files
    -use flash_image to flash an "unrevoked forever" compatible baseband(public:forever [RootWiki])
    -flash the forever patch in recovery
    -relfash his old baseband(or as close as we can get to it)

just thinkin out loud :)

also... what android version is this running? froyo i assume?

24. Hadron

VIP Member

It will be Froyo - I don't think there ever was an official Gingerbread for the Bravo_C.

I know the Bravo well (have one in my pocket), Bravo_C less so - we get about 50 GSM here for every CDMA. Very little experience with the HTCdev unlock - we've never recommended it here, and warn people off if they ask, but in this case the OP's phone came with that bootloader version already.

I was considering using the HTCdev unlock and flashing recovery (and hence rooting) earlier in the thread. SUroot questioned whether you can actually flash recovery on the Desire with HTCdev (despite what HTC claim), and we did have one member back in July who said they were unable to. Conversely I've found a couple of people at XDA who said that it worked for them, so maybe that was user error. All of these were GSM (the ones that could and the one who couldn't). So I expect it will work, but I take any doubts that SUroot expresses seriously and don't guarantee.

If that all works then it gives root and the ability to flash ROMs. Would be up to the OP whether they then wanted to try the Forever thing to get full S-Off. That's a procedure I'm not familiar with (as CDMA specific). Ironically I think the easiest way to get a baseband close to the current one might be to download the RUU that comes as part of the HTCdev unlock for this device (not needed here as already has that hboot) and extract the image from that.

25. Hiryosuke

Hiryosuke Newbie

Yeah I've been searching and haven't found any ruu either...and I'll find a glossary and look up what I didn't understand before proceeding lol

HTC Desire Forum

Features and specs are not yet known.

unknown
Release Date
Reviews