• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Need help! My5th Hero had to be rest- Want to Root

howiesf

Oct 29, 2009
Hi

Sorry if this is mentioned in the All Things Root thread ( I did search though) but anyway, I'm on my 5th damn hero and Sprint and it crashed right during a "Mobile social media" even I was attending:( I went to a third party Sprint dealer/repair place who always treats me way better than any sprint store. After many attempts to just hard reset it using the button method he wound up finally getting firmeware 2.1 update 1 installed - build # .2.27.651.c. The phone is now slower than ever and keeps erroring out (some kind of data error when trying to see if there are updates in the market). It has also been roaming way too much for the past day where i used to get fine Sprint coverage. I have been notified (i turned it off) about the update to 2.31.651 is being offered. Since I have had such a terrible time and i am actually a "techie" i want to friggin Root. So my question to you all is this: If I apply this patch just to hopefully get these other issues at least partially resolved, will i still be able to Root afterward? I have read that some people have bricked their phones after trying to Root after applying this update, while other had no issues. please advise me as I am at my end with this damn phone and Sprint's refusal to do something for me. (Have had Sprint for 11 yrs).

Thanks

Hi

Sorry if this is mentioned in the All Things Root thread ( I did search though) but anyway, I'm on my 5th damn hero and Sprint and it crashed right during a "Mobile social media" even I was attending:( I went to a third party Sprint dealer/repair place who always treats me way better than any sprint store. After many attempts to just hard reset it using the button method he wound up finally getting firmeware 2.1 update 1 installed - build # .2.27.651.c. The phone is now slower than ever and keeps erroring out (some kind of data error when trying to see if there are updates in the market). It has also been roaming way too much for the past day where i used to get fine Sprint coverage. I have been notified (i turned it off) about the update to 2.31.651 is being offered. Since I have had such a terrible time and i am actually a "techie" i want to friggin Root. So my question to you all is this: If I apply this patch just to hopefully get these other issues at least partially resolved, will i still be able to Root afterward? I have read that some people have bricked their phones after trying to Root after applying this update, while other had no issues. please advise me as I am at my end with this damn phone and Sprint's refusal to do something for me. (Have had Sprint for 11 yrs).

Thanks

z4 will work, and no it will not brick your phone;)

BTW, you should have started this thread in the 'All Things Root' section:)

Upvote 0
But what if I just want to update to the latest software FIRST, and then ROOT at a later time. My question was weather or not I can actually Root with the latest Sprint update. Even though I am a "Techie" I feel as though i am cursed with this damn phone and just want to see how it goes for a few days if I do just run the update and then, when I become brave, ROOT.

Upvote 0
Yes sir you are correct (MHC), and yes you can root at a later time, unless they release another RUU update then you maybe out of luck and the developers are on other phones so who knows if they will update the root app if HTC or Sprint comes out with another update, but you can always update and if down the road they release another update, then do not update unless you are sure it has be exploited :rolleyes:

ROOT ROOT ROOT -

You will ask yourself...WHY DID I WAIT!!!!!!

Right Don? : )

Upvote 0
Thank you Don :) If it wern't for the fact that i am on my 5th Hero, etc, I would ROOT tonight. as a "techie" I am usually able to resolve all technical issues for people- except my own..... this is why I want to wait until i hopefully get up the nerve to Root or find someone here in SF who can walk me through the process. Since they nuked it the other day, no matter what i do the damn thing hangs, calls wrong numbers, and all of the lovely things Hero's are know to do. I just wish HTC would have owned up to the issues with this damn phone, or god-forbid Sprint should treat me like a human....

Cheers

Yes sir you are correct (MHC), and yes you can root at a later time, unless they release another RUU update then you maybe out of luck and the developers are on other phones so who knows if they will update the root app if HTC or Sprint comes out with another update, but you can always update and if down the road they release another update, then do not update unless you are sure it has be exploited :rolleyes:

Upvote 0
NP, let us know when you ready, keep in mind the rooting process is fast and painless, and once rooted you can always unroot in minutes, so there is really no risk, and you will be gone with all the damn lag issues and done with all the Sprint bloatware, just holler and we will walk you through the process when ready

Thank you Don :) If it wern't for the fact that i am on my 5th Hero, etc, I would ROOT tonight. as a "techie" I am usually able to resolve all technical issues for people- except my own..... this is why I want to wait until i hopefully get up the nerve to Root or find someone here in SF who can walk me through the process. Since they nuked it the other day, no matter what i do the damn thing hangs, calls wrong numbers, and all of the lovely things Hero's are know to do. I just wish HTC would have owned up to the issues with this damn phone, or god-forbid Sprint should treat me like a human....

Cheers

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones