1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Need help picking phone/carrier/voip for US/Canada usage

Discussion in 'Android Lounge' started by dualhammers, May 20, 2011.

1. dualhammers

dualhammers Lurker

Hey,

First post with several questions. I am currently a US Resident using a Droid X on Verizon but I am going to be moving very soon to Canada for a job in the field of animation. The problem is that while the job is in Canada I will be making lots of trips to and from the States during the job so I need a phone/plan that allows me to be flexible.

I've done some reserach and it seems like Wind / Mobilicity offers the best plan/pricing for an android phone with a large data plan where I will be living (Toronto) and it also uses the same network as TMobile. My thought is on buying an unlocked smart phone that works on both carriers and just keeping it. That way whenever I cross the border I can slip in a sim card for the other carrier (probably pre-paid on Tmobile and normal plan in Canada). If this is a good idea, what phones work that also offer good speeds, reliability, and a quality camera? The Droid X has an awful camera so something better than that.

The one problem with Wind is only the city is in-coverage. Everywhere else is roaming. Combine this with my desire to keep a single number and so I am considering Google Voice. How difficult is it to setup GV using SIP for incoming calls and then using Google Voice on my PC/phone using wifi if I am outside the coverage area.

So in summary.

1. What is a good android phone I can buy unlocked for use on Wind/TMobile that has good speed, reliability, and a great camera? Are there multiple options at various price ranges?

2. How do I set up Google Voice to forward to a Canadian number using SIP and how do i set it up to make outgoing calls using wifi via the same number?

3. Is it possible to use a Tmobile prepaid sim to avoid roaming while on trips to the US?

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. dualhammers

dualhammers Lurker