1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Root Need Help Putting a ROM on my TF300

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by jericko, Jan 6, 2014.

1. jericko

jericko Android Enthusiast
    None

Feb 13, 2011
    Systems Engineer
    Omaha
    SO I decided I want to install Cromi-X on my tablet. So from the reading, here is what I think I must do:

1. Download the unlock tool from ASUS and unlock my boot loader.
    2. Install TWRP 2.5.0.0
    3. Install CROMi-X ODEX 5.2.4_Signed.zip from TWRP

What I I am having problems figuring out is how to install TWRP once I use the ASUS boot unlocker.

I am on version 4.2.1 and its a US Asus TF300

Can anyone point me in the correct path?

Thanks

Advertisement

2. Unforgiven

Unforgiven OK Google

Jun 23, 2010
    Male
    Douglas, MA
    I moved this to the All Things Root subforum where I think you will get better eyes on it.:)

jericko likes this.
  3. heat57

heat57 Android Enthusiast
    None

Dec 29, 2010
    Consultant
    Birmingham, UK
    Go to the Teamwin website and read the notes carefully, then download the appropriate file depending on the method you choose (the differences in each flashing method is explained) - TeamWin Projects - TWRP 2.6 - Asus Transformer TF300T(G) | TeamWin

If you select the fastboot method, which is the one I'd recommend, then you need to download and install the Android SDK package for your PC first, you'll find it here SDK Tools | Android Developers

After you installed the SDK package you'll find there is no desktiop icon so you'll have to got to the installation forlder, usually something like C:\Android\adt-bundle-windows-x86 and double-click on SDKmanager.exe; when it starts up you'll get the programme UI and it'll/might show that upgrades are available. Just press and select on the button that says 'Install xx packages'; this should install any updates you need.

Next get the Asus USB drivers from their website or Google them and install the latest. Next, put the TWRP custom recovery file, which you downloaded earlier and renamed as described on their website and copy it into the Subfolder called sdk\platform tools (which is in the installation folder of the sdk package). Press the shiftkey and right-click the platform tools folder the select 'open command window here' from the pop-up window. This will open the cmd window > connect your TF300 via USB cable to your PC (probably you should do this after installing the USB drivers earlier to see if your tab is recognised by windows) > typr in the cmd window without quotes 'adb devices' which should return some text plus a 13 or so digit number, which would indicate that your device is recognised. If it is follow the instruction you found on TWRP website.

MAKE ABSOLUTELY SURE THAT YOU DOWNLOADED THE CORRECT BLOB FILE FOR YOUR DEVICE AND CURRENT FIRMWARE OTHERWISE YOU WILL BRICK YOUR TF300!!!

Unforgiven and jericko like this.
  4. Unforgiven

Unforgiven OK Google

Jun 23, 2010
    Male
    Douglas, MA
    heat57 and jericko like this.
  5. jericko

jericko Android Enthusiast
    None

Feb 13, 2011
    Systems Engineer
    Omaha

Thank you very much for the very detailed instructions, its very much appreciated!

Here is the blob I think I need:
    openrecovery-twrp-2.5.0.0-tf300t-JB.blob

Do you agree that is probably the one I need?

6. heat57

heat57 Android Enthusiast
    None

Dec 29, 2010
    Consultant
    Birmingham, UK
    To be very honest with and to pre-warn you, be very careful which recovery version you flash as the Asus TF series is notoriously picky about recoveries! In the TF300 threads over at XDA you'll find many postings regarding custom recoveries and which ones you need for the firmware you intend to flash afterwards, i.e. if you intend to flash the latest Asus stock based, which is v10.6.1.27.5 you'll need a specific TWRP or a Kitkat based ROM you'll need a modified version. I strongly suggest you spend some time reading up on it.

I am sorry I can't be any more helpful, but as mentioned Asus make it more difficult than other manufacturers to safely root and flash; I know as I bricked my TF300T previously and it cost me some $300 to get it fixed.

After that experience I decided to stick with stock firmware and root that without unlocking it so I get the benefits of a rooted device without voiding the warranty or risking a brick.

jericko likes this.