• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Need help rooting 2.1

autarkh

Lurker
Jun 2, 2010
Hey.

I did a search but did not find anything directly applicable to my situation. My apologies if I missed it.

My Droid is currently running Android 2.1 update 1.

I had previously rooted under Android 2.0.1, but I inadvertently installed the Verizon automatic system update, which took away root privileges. (Incidentally, is there a way to disable automatic updates? Before my slip-up, I had been canceling the dialog box for over a week.)

I tried the method described in this post and it seemed to work, but I can't execute "su" from the terminal emulator console. I have the superuser permissions ninja under apps, but I also had it after the forced Verizon update. I suspect this is a vestige of the previous rooting.

I would be immensely grateful if someone could direct me to instructions on how to EITHER: A) download everything necessary to revert to 2.0.1, use the root exploit, and then upgrade to a rooted version of 2.1, OR B) root my current installation of 2.1.

Also, if you could recommend a good ROM with wireless tethering, that'd be icing on the cake.

Thanks in advance.

Hey.

I did a search but did not find anything directly applicable to my situation. My apologies if I missed it.

My Droid is currently running Android 2.1 update 1.

I had previously rooted under Android 2.0.1, but I inadvertently installed the Verizon automatic system update, which took away root privileges. (Incidentally, is there a way to disable automatic updates? Before my slip-up, I had been canceling the dialog box for over a week.)

I tried the method described in this post and it seemed to work, but I can't execute "su" from the terminal emulator console. I have the superuser permissions ninja under apps, but I also had it after the forced Verizon update. I suspect this is a vestige of the previous rooting.

I would be immensely grateful if someone could direct me to instructions on how to EITHER: A) download everything necessary to revert to 2.0.1, use the root exploit, and then upgrade to a rooted version of 2.1, OR B) root my current installation of 2.1.

Also, if you could recommend a good ROM with wireless tethering, that'd be icing on the cake.

Thanks in advance.

The thread that you linked to. In the second post is directions for reverting to 2.0.1 Sounds like that would be the best solution for you

Reactions: autarkh
Upvote 0
OK. So I found this...

Got it working for those who need to know

1. Install Android SDK
2. Follow instructions up to mount /system
3. adb usb

• adb devices (to verify)
  • adb shell (to verify you get #)
  • if you don't get # don't bother going forward
4. adb push su /system/bin/su
5. adb push Superuser.apk /system/app/Superuser.apk
6. adb shell

• /system/bin/chmod 6755 /system/bin/su
  • /system/bin/chmod 644 /system/app/Superuser.apk"
7. Reboot and you'll have root
8. Install tethering? Forget it... no netfilter...
... which I think will solve my problem.

The only issue I'm having is getting adb working via USB.

After installing the usb driver and RSDLite, I downloaded the Android SDK. Then I booted the Droid into sprecovery and mounted /system. But I still can't get it to connect to the phone. I'm certain I'm doing something stupid. Is there a guide on the initial adb setup, just to make sure I haven't missed something?

Once I get to the shell, I'm pretty sure I can figure this out.

Upvote 0
Specifically, when I try "adb usb" or "adb devices" it says either:

A) "*deamon not running. starting it now*", after which it hangs
or
B) the same thing, followed by "ADB server didn't ACK; *failed to start daemon*; error: cannot connect to daemon"

Are you using Win 7? If so did you download the motorola drivers? The drivers from the adb did not work for me. Link provided below for drivers:

USB and PC Charging Drivers - Motorola USA

Upvote 0
Are you using Win 7? If so did you download the motorola drivers? The drivers from the adb did not work for me. Link provided below for drivers:

USB and PC Charging Drivers - Motorola USA

XP. I'm using the Motorola drivers. I rebooted again, now I can at least start the daemon (both "adb usb" and "adb device" work), but I can't do "adb shell" or "adb push"

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones